turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Ok now what?

Started by Full Flight, April 03, 2012, 08:55:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Full Flight

Well I planned a Kentucy turkey hunt with my buddy for ten past six months.  We were suppose to go to the Daniel Boone National Forest.  My friend has been there five or six times.  This was going to be my first trip.  Well I purchased my non-resident license bought special camping supplies ect.  Well low and behold my friend's father got sick and he needs to care for him.  I'm stil going (I feel real bad for him).  However, I am now going to an area I have never hunted before and have not done any scouting.  Can anyone give me any suggestions on where to start?  Do I spen the first of my four days scouting? Do I hit some ridges and try and find a gobbler with a locator call.   I'll take any suggestion anyone has.

hookedspur

Well if the birds are talking they will tell you what to do if not just enjoy it ,stay high and try to learn the layout  :icon_thumright:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

WVhuntEER

If I were you I would just pack light and plan on doing a lot of moving.  Walk and call and try to locate some birds.  Not much else you can do really.  

honker22

I bet you will find some birds. You may have to burn some boot leather to find them but be confident. Take note of trucks parked around... I'm not saying go in and hunt on top of them, just note the location (woods type, terrain, etc) and try to find a similar spot or try the next road over. I've had a lot of luck, going in blind, by looking at aerial photos. I like to key in on creeks or where 2 woods types meet up. I've had great success where upland areas meet bottomland. Also look for burns.
Hopefully someone who has experience with this area can PM you some advice. Good luck, I think you will be fine.
People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.

surehuntsalot

I know you really want to score on a bird,and I hope you do,but don't get so wrapped up in the "hunt" that you don't forget to enjoy the experience.
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

captin_hook

Have that owl hooter and crow call handy.

870supermagnum

Full Flight, your buddy is probably your greatest source of information.  Get your friend to get on Goolge maps and find the satellite photos of the area he has hunted and is familiar with.  He can print as many views as he believes necessary, and have him go over them with you in detail when you get there.  Take them to the woods with you.

Once you're hunting you can use locator calls, spot and stalk or ambush, run and gun, etc.

Enjoy the hunt.   :fud:     :newmascot:

stone road turkey calls

Take your GPS with you
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

TauntoHawk

Thats what I was thinking, get your friend to help you find the areas he always had sucess in, take a GPS and burn some boot leather!!! good luck

state DNR, topo maps, and arials will help too a lot think about getting some of the better looking areas printed out and maybe laminated.. Carry them in your back pack and plan your hunt off them

Quote from: 870supermagnum on April 06, 2012, 03:07:14 PM
Full Flight, your buddy is probably your greatest source of information.  Get your friend to get on Goolge maps and find the satellite photos of the area he has hunted and is familiar with.  He can print as many views as he believes necessary, and have him go over them with you in detail when you get there.  Take them to the woods with you.

Once you're hunting you can use locator calls, spot and stalk or ambush, run and gun, etc.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

camotruck

Quote from: TauntoHawk on April 06, 2012, 04:03:23 PM
Thats what I was thinking, get your friend to help you find the areas he always had sucess in, take a GPS and burn some boot leather!!! good luck

state DNR, topo maps, and arials will help too a lot think about getting some of the better looking areas printed out and maybe laminated.. Carry them in your back pack and plan your hunt off them

Quote from: 870supermagnum on April 06, 2012, 03:07:14 PM

This is the way to go ...  But don't forget have some fun
"If you could make money the way you hunt, you'd be a rich man, and I wouldn't worry about you."   .....My Dad shortly before he passed.  Bye Dad  Love ya

Spring_Woods

"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

MouthCaller

Bottle water, comfortable boots, and leave for the woods early cause everyone and their brother will be in there. I would also suggest to get on top of a big ridge, lots of times in my KY hunting experience they will fly to roost off a ridge and be halfway down the ridge in a tree and fly down is back to the top. You always want to be above them if possible.

Spring_Woods

Agreed with moutcaller...stay high!
"Was that a gobble?":gobble: