OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Stinging caterpillars!

Started by TheTwistedOne, April 03, 2012, 07:16:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheTwistedOne

Anyone else have to deal with these nasty things?

I got nailed by two of them today in my own backyard!  They blew out of a tree and landed inside the collar of my shirt! 

They feel like they are burning you.

turkey_slayer

The good ol saddle backs lol. Yes they hurt like a dickens. Feel like a bunch of bee stings. I usually get popped by em a couple times a year.

TheTwistedOne

These weren't saddlebacks.  They are pretty distinctive.  Don't know what these were.  I smashed them into goo after they stung me. 

Might have been IO moth caterpillars but like I said there is nothing left to identify!

turkey_slayer

Hmm I think all we have here is saddle backs. White with a black stripe going down their back?

TheTwistedOne

This is a saddleback

There are several species that will sting.  Some are worse than others.

I don't know what you call the one that's white with a black stripe.

turkey_slayer

That looks nasty but not what we call saddlebacks  ;D

Ol'Mossy

When I was in North Carolina a few years ago visiting friends a Caterpillar crawled up my pant leg, didn't know what it was at the time, I smashed it and got a big rash between my knee and thigh.  I had that for about 3 weeks, talk about itchy.  :(

TheTwistedOne

Quote from: PaTurkHntr on April 04, 2012, 05:26:10 AM
When I was in North Carolina a few years ago visiting friends a Caterpillar crawled up my pant leg, didn't know what it was at the time, I smashed it and got a big rash between my knee and thigh.  I had that for about 3 weeks, talk about itchy.  :(

I'm not having any lasting effects from the ones that got me yesterday.  The redness is gone already.  I was able to put cortisone ointment on the areas immediately.  I also took a benedryl to help prevent any allergic reaction.  That helped a lot!  Like I said before, lots of different kinds that can sting, some are worse than others.  Since I'm a lot better today, these likely weren't one of the super nasty kind.

If their "hairs" don't touch bare skin they can't get you.  Had one crawl into my headnet while turkey hunting once.  I was able to get the headnet off and pick it off my neck with a gloved hand without getting stung.

870FaceLift

Quote from: Bad Grizzly on April 04, 2012, 10:14:23 AM
Is this it?

http://insects.about.com/od/butterfliesmoths/ig/Stinging-Caterpillars/White-Marked-Tussock-Moth.htm

I hunted some private property in TN last year that was covered in these.  The trees, woods floor, and part of a pasture were peppered with them.  I couldnt even hold still because they were constantly on me.  I know they're only caterpillars, but they're still creepy.  They were falling from the trees so much that it looked like they were dripping.  Later that night, I was one big rash.  My clothes had green goo all over from accidentally smashing them all day.
Pass it on...

TheTwistedOne

Quote from: Bad Grizzly on April 04, 2012, 10:14:23 AM
Is this it?

http://insects.about.com/od/butterfliesmoths/ig/Stinging-Caterpillars/White-Marked-Tussock-Moth.htm

Yep!  That's it.  Thanks!  The ones we have around the house right now are yellow instead of white.  Apparently they can be green too.

Here's a picture I took of one this morning.

Tussock Moth Caterpillar.

Jay

Quote from: TheTwistedOne on April 03, 2012, 07:16:31 PM
Anyone else have to deal with these nasty things?

I got nailed by two of them today in my own backyard!  They blew out of a tree and landed inside the collar of my shirt! 

They feel like they are burning you.
Being I'm the vindictive type, I'd be buying the right chemical, spraying the trees, and gleefully watching the trees rain caterpillars.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Just be glad we don't have these here.  They can kill you.  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lonomia

ghillie

yikes....they sure are neat looking though...