OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Tennessee monsoon bird

Started by turkey_slayer, April 03, 2012, 04:30:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkey_slayer

I missed this bird Opening day saturday when he popped up where I wasnt expecting and tried to swing and well we all know how that ended  ;D

Got up monday and checked the weather and it looked like it was storming pretty good down that way but should be gone by 9 so I went a head and left.  Went to the public land spot and there was someone already there. It was only drizzling at the time and thought he was in the woods but after a few minutes he pecked on my window and we chit chatted.  During that time it started lightening and pouring rain. I had showed him the dopplar radar on my phone and he said he was going to nap. I sat there for another 10 minutes and said heck with it Im going on since its a fairly decent hike and want to be there when it breaks.

Was a little wet but not to bad until I got situated and the heavens opened up! It was coming in sheets and I was sitting there telling myself your a dumbarse. Rain started to slack to a drizzle around 8:30 but the fog rolled in thick. Not long after I hear him gobble about 150 yards away. I slip in and give him sweet talk and he answers but is not gobbling much. Next time he gobbled he was much further away and even further the next time so I loop around and get ahead of him. It is nasty thick from being clear cutted mostly with briars but I didnt really have any other choice. Im on a ridge top where the logging road is and its growed up as well but not as bad as the rest. I can shoot about 30 yards. He answers from below. About 10 minutes goes by without neither of us saying anything and then he about blows my hat off.

He couldnt have been 10 yards away but I couldnt see him for the wall of briars. I never say a peep hoping he goes away so I can reposition. Thats what he did and the next time he gobbled he was heading back to where we started the game. I loop back around but can not get in front of him. When I round a bend I yelp and he gobbles about 80 yards away. I sit down against a 4 inch pine tree.

The guy that was in the truck must have woke up and hit the woods to cause I could hear him calling to the bird about 200 yards away. I thought surely he heard me calling and was hoping he wasnt going to walk in and mess it up. After a few minutes I seen him coming off the ridge and going down in the hollow to my left. Im in the logging road expecting him to come up in it. The heavens open up again and I can barely even see with the wall of rain. 15 minutes or so pass and Im sitting there thinking where did he go and is it ever going to stop raining? Then I hear putt putt not 5 yards behind me. I thought not again!

I was situated on a finger ridge that dropped straight off behind me so was really surprised he chose that route. I keep listening to the putts till I can tell hes below the point. I ease up and see him nervously walking away. I ease the gun up but the fastfire is soaked. I finally pick up his head in the sight and put a load in the back of his head at 36 yards. Of course he rolls 150 yards off the dang mountain into the bottom of the hollow.  I got back to the top a little later on and snapped one pic with the camera then got out of dodge cause I was soaked and it was still raining. 10.25" beard, 19lbs, 3/4" spurs.

Wrangler95

Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

boomer

ThicketThrasher

Nice bird.....I was also out in that monsoon yesterday. My luck wasn't as good as yours. I saw 3 gobblers but they would not play. Looks like more heavy rain for Wednesday here in the Tennessee mountains. I am going anyway, it is supposed to be a little cooler tomorrow.  

Hognutz

Congrats on the nice gobbler..
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

timbrhuntr

Nothing like hunting in a monsoon. Congrats on the bird  :icon_thumright: .

cannonball

pullit

Way to come back and make up for opening day :icon_thumright:

JVA54

RutnNStrutn

Way to stick with it!! You earned that gobbler!!! :icon_thumright:

pseshooter300

Tater
Thunder Chicken Mafia
This Ain't Hollywood

nctrkyhntr

Roostem33

The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.(John 10:10)

Rio Fan