OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How do you ask permission to hunt private land?

Started by 870supermagnum, April 03, 2012, 01:26:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

870supermagnum

There's a lot of timber land, produce and dairy farming in my area.  I would love to have permission to hunt some of those areas.  I have no experience asking an ower for permission to turkey hunt his property, and don't really know how to approach the subject.  Some of you guys that have experience and success doing this, how do you go about it?   :help:

Deputy 14

First off pick a time of day when people are not going to be eating lunch or dinner or with their family. Other than that it's just a matter of talking to people politely and showing them that you're a good person looking for a place to hunt and not there to rob them. A lot of time people will look at you and bluntly tell you they don't allow people to hunt and instead of asking why just thank them for their time and apologize for bothering them (politely) and walk away. I've had people yell at me as I was almost to my truck to come back and tell me that I could hunt just based on the fact that I was not pushy or bothersome.
Another good way is to offer a few days of labor on their farm or some of the meat from the game you take. If a guy gives you permission and says to kill him a turkey or deer offer him the first one you kill. A lot of time this is all it takes to have a new hunting spot for a long time. Another thing I've learned over the years is if you ask for permission for you make sure you are the only one that that is on the property. If you want a buddy or child to hunt with you be up front when initially ask for permission.  But most importantly be nice and dress decent and you shouldn't have any problem.

Wingbone

X2

Exactly what he said.

In Hoc Signo Vinces

lohaus

I find it helpful if I bring my son with me.  Usually, I explain that I'm looking for a place to hunt with my son.  He is 12.  I tell him to stand up straight, look him in the eyes, and shake hands.  I tell them I will park on the road and walk in.  Most of the people I talk to are worried about vehicles damaging their property.  Also, I recommend doing some research on the adjacent properties before hand.  It always helps to be able to mention something like 'I know the Smith property starts at that tree line'.  Usually, I will look at the property lines from the County website and then compare to Google Maps/Satellite/Earth to get a lay of the land.