OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Convince me!

Started by NYSportsman, April 03, 2012, 12:07:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Borden811

Quote from: BHhunter on April 03, 2012, 05:43:17 PM
935 (should yield same in 835) Sumtoy .675 no more words needed!

Man, that is one heck of an awesome pattern!

NYSportsman

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on April 03, 2012, 08:11:56 PM
Lot numbers schmot numbers.  Apparently I'm gonna be the first one to say this here but I feel it has to be said.  The ONLY folks that should be worried about lot #s are the STILL TARGET SHOOTERS, not hunters.  Getting 25 or so less or more #7 hevi shot pellets in the 10 ring at 40 yards is IRRELIVANT if your pattern is even and you're getting close to or over 300 to begin with!  There isn't a turkey on earth that is gonna get away from anything even remotely close to those numbers as it is.  I see guys asking about lot numbers on here like they actually know what they're talking about and I gotta say I chuckle every time I see it.  If you aren't a competative shooter...LET IT GO.  My 835's, one in particular, avgs about 335 in the 10" at 40 with 2.25 ounce hevi 7's.  Do I care what lot number I'm shooting if one box just happens to shoot 300 even while another prints 10% more?  Heck no!  I just shot a 355 a few weeks ago too.  Was it impressive?  You bet it was, but if I shot 300 would I cry about it?  Not a single tear because I know that any turkey I choose to drop the hammer on is going to die...period.  Rant over.

Thanks for the info! I honestly could care less about lot #'s. I was not asking about #'s!!! I was asking if it was worth it for me to change ammo! I love trying new things and trying to tweak my equipment to make it as efficient as possible.  I have never counted pellets on my patterns! I was merely asking for opinions on how Heavy #7's work on hunting. I am a hunter and hunter only! I do not and will not ever compete in any sort of shooting competition. I think you all have convinced me that they are the way to go.  Thanks again!

R AJ

Lot numbers schmot numbers.  Apparently I'm gonna be the first one to say this here but I feel it has to be said.  The ONLY folks that should be worried about lot #s are the STILL TARGET SHOOTERS, not hunters.  Getting 25 or so less or more #7 hevi shot pellets in the 10 ring at 40 yards is IRRELIVANT if your pattern is even and you're getting close to or over 300 to begin with!  There isn't a turkey on earth that is gonna get away from anything even remotely close to those numbers as it is.  I see guys asking about lot numbers on here like they actually know what they're talking about and I gotta say I chuckle every time I see it.  If you aren't a competative shooter...LET IT GO.  My 835's, one in particular, avgs about 335 in the 10" at 40 with 2.25 ounce hevi 7's.  Do I care what lot number I'm shooting if one box just happens to shoot 300 even while another prints 10% more?  Heck no!  I just shot a 355 a few weeks ago too.  Was it impressive?  You bet it was, but if I shot 300 would I cry about it?  Not a single tear because I know that any turkey I choose to drop the hammer on is going to die...period.  Rant over.

Thank you.I agree wholeheartedly. That saved me some considerable time pecking out that message. Just knowing that I can put over 200 shot in a 4" pine sapling at 25 yards really gives me confidence.  ::) :newmascot:

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: NYSportsman on April 03, 2012, 09:26:43 PM

Thanks for the info! I honestly could care less about lot #'s. I was not asking about #'s!!! I was asking if it was worth it for me to change ammo! I love trying new things and trying to tweak my equipment to make it as efficient as possible.  I have never counted pellets on my patterns! I was merely asking for opinions on how Heavy #7's work on hunting. I am a hunter and hunter only! I do not and will not ever compete in any sort of shooting competition. I think you all have convinced me that they are the way to go.  Thanks again!
YOU'RE WELCOME!!!  But that was not directed at you.  The ones it was directed at know who they are.  Will hevi 7s be an upgrade from your current load (s), assuming you're running lead?  Yes and no.  If you NEVER shoot past 40 yards then no, as long as you get good lead patterns to there, you're good either way.  If you ever plan on that accidental shot where you may miss judge the range, maybe he's in a wide open field and he just looked a lot closer than he was, then yes, you will see the benefits.  Hevi holds it's pattern and energy better and at longer ranges than lead and generally penetrates better, allowing more broken bones than lead as it doesn't deform when it strikes the target.  Btw.  here's that pattern I mentioned...
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

NYSportsman

Yeah I have been shooting Federal Mag Shock 3" #4's  (2 oz) loads. I never take shots past 40 yards but I did have a bird that I misjudged in a field a few years back and I didnt get him.  I think what I will do is polish my barrell and then try the new ssx with my current loads and see what it looks like before I drop the money on the other shells. Thanks for the info.