OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Convince me!

Started by NYSportsman, April 03, 2012, 12:07:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NYSportsman

I have had my 835 for almost 10 years now. I cant bring myself to get rid of it because it just works. But I just ordered an SSX from Clark.  I am contemplating dropping the money on Heavy 13 #7's or Federal Heavyweight #7 .  Any one have this combo and have any pics of the pattern? I am wondering if its worth the money. I am intrigued by the idea of #7 shot for turkey.  Convince me!

By the way I am new here !!! I have been on some other forums for a while but I just found this one and I am loving it!!

Philippe

The best thing to do is convince yourself. Go out and give those shells and choke a try and see what kind of results you get.

worth612000

worth612000

Never used the HW, I have used Hevi-13 2oz 7's and was very impressed with that load on turkeys.

neohiohunter

I convinced myself yesterday when I shot my 835. My first shot was 301 hits, put a different lot # of 7's and shot 316. I try posting pics but says its too large of a file or I would show ya sum pics.

NYSportsman

I will give them a try! Thanks

neohiohunter

BHhunter

935 (should yield same in 835) Sumtoy .675 no more words needed!

Philippe

Quote from: BHhunter on April 03, 2012, 05:43:17 PM

Care to list whats been done to the gun? Is that a lazered 40? If so man you have a beast, I just cant get into the 300+ range with the 835 yet and any of the HTL loads.

BHhunter

Quote from: Philippe on April 03, 2012, 05:55:43 PM
Quote from: BHhunter on April 03, 2012, 05:43:17 PM

Care to list whats been done to the gun? Is that a lazered 40? If so man you have a beast, I just cant get into the 300+ range with the 835 yet and any of the HTL loads.
Brand new gun. Only thing done to the gun was deep clean the barrel, mounted the scope and screwed in the Sumtoy. Shot 6 shots of pheasant loads to sight in, cleaned the barrel and shot at 40. And that is a lazered 40 yards.

mightyjoeyoung

Lot numbers schmot numbers.  Apparently I'm gonna be the first one to say this here but I feel it has to be said.  The ONLY folks that should be worried about lot #s are the STILL TARGET SHOOTERS, not hunters.  Getting 25 or so less or more #7 hevi shot pellets in the 10 ring at 40 yards is IRRELIVANT if your pattern is even and you're getting close to or over 300 to begin with!  There isn't a turkey on earth that is gonna get away from anything even remotely close to those numbers as it is.  I see guys asking about lot numbers on here like they actually know what they're talking about and I gotta say I chuckle every time I see it.  If you aren't a competative shooter...LET IT GO.  My 835's, one in particular, avgs about 335 in the 10" at 40 with 2.25 ounce hevi 7's.  Do I care what lot number I'm shooting if one box just happens to shoot 300 even while another prints 10% more?  Heck no!  I just shot a 355 a few weeks ago too.  Was it impressive?  You bet it was, but if I shot 300 would I cry about it?  Not a single tear because I know that any turkey I choose to drop the hammer on is going to die...period.  Rant over.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

hookedspur

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on April 03, 2012, 08:11:56 PM
Lot numbers schmot numbers.  Apparently I'm gonna be the first one to say this here but I feel it has to be said.  The ONLY folks that should be worried about lot #s are the STILL TARGET SHOOTERS, not hunters.  Getting 25 or so less or more #7 hevi shot pellets in the 10 ring at 40 yards is IRRELIVANT if your pattern is even and you're getting close to or over 300 to begin with!  There isn't a turkey on earth that is gonna get away from anything even remotely close to those numbers as it is.  I see guys asking about lot numbers on here like they actually know what they're talking about and I gotta say I chuckle every time I see it.  If you aren't a competative shooter...LET IT GO.  My 835's, one in particular, avgs about 335 in the 10" at 40 with 2.25 ounce hevi 7's.  Do I care what lot number I'm shooting if one box just happens to shoot 300 even while another prints 10% more?  Heck no!  I just shot a 355 a few weeks ago too.  Was it impressive?  You bet it was, but if I shot 300 would I cry about it?  Not a single tear because I know that any turkey I choose to drop the hammer on is going to die...period.  Rant over.
Im not worried about lot numbers either , a bad lot still out shoots a good lead load by 1/2 a mile instead of a mile.. :toothy12:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

mightyjoeyoung

Ain't that the truth?!   :icon_thumright:
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

cannonball

I can tell you the gobbler I shot on Saturday with Hevi #7's dropped like a ton of bricks.

Borden811

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on April 03, 2012, 08:11:56 PM
Lot numbers schmot numbers.  Apparently I'm gonna be the first one to say this here but I feel it has to be said.  The ONLY folks that should be worried about lot #s are the STILL TARGET SHOOTERS, not hunters.  Getting 25 or so less or more #7 hevi shot pellets in the 10 ring at 40 yards is IRRELIVANT if your pattern is even and you're getting close to or over 300 to begin with!  There isn't a turkey on earth that is gonna get away from anything even remotely close to those numbers as it is.  I see guys asking about lot numbers on here like they actually know what they're talking about and I gotta say I chuckle every time I see it.  If you aren't a competative shooter...LET IT GO.  My 835's, one in particular, avgs about 335 in the 10" at 40 with 2.25 ounce hevi 7's.  Do I care what lot number I'm shooting if one box just happens to shoot 300 even while another prints 10% more?  Heck no!  I just shot a 355 a few weeks ago too.  Was it impressive?  You bet it was, but if I shot 300 would I cry about it?  Not a single tear because I know that any turkey I choose to drop the hammer on is going to die...period.  Rant over.

How bout when your old lot( of  6's) shoots 230-240, and your new lot number shoots 90-100. When I pay for hevi 13 performance, and get less than lead performance, it's something to worry about!