turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Unethical hunters on WMA's

Started by stryker82, April 03, 2012, 11:17:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stryker82

Went out this morning for the first time this season only to have the birds I was calling to bumped off 3 times. Not only did these guys park next to my truck, they saw me the first time and got to talk to me the last two times. They could have gone to 6 other birds from where my truck was but continued to follow me and slip in between me and the birds.They took a shot at just under 100 yards with a muzzle loader only to smack the tree behind the bird 3 foot over its back. I was 16 yards from this bird when they shot. I did get some great video and could have shot two nice toms but not the one I wanted. This keeps happening more and more every year. Just wondering if anyone else is having this trouble?

albrubacker

The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

TauntoHawk

did you call the warden? I dont hunt much public land but I dont take people shooting at me or in my direction well..

Muzzleloader shotgun or straight ball?
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

stryker82

Quote from: TauntoHawk on April 03, 2012, 11:27:30 AM
did you call the warden? I don't hunt much public land but I don't take people shooting at me or in my direction well..

Muzzleloader shotgun or straight ball?
Yes I did plus I have the tag number from the truck and the whole thing on video, even both of my little chats with the two guys. I'm going to meet with a warden in an hour.

lightsoutcalls

I had it happen a few years ago on local public land.  I was calling a bird that was well over 100 yards through the woods.  I could tell he was closing the distance.  I never heard another hen sound in the woods, so I know the other guy wasn't calling.  (I never saw the other hunter before or after he shot.)  The bird was probably about 60 yards and across a road when he gobbled the last time before being shot by another hunter.  I haven't gone back to the area.  
On the same piece of property (WMA- over 7,000 acres) I got in before daylight in a patch of woods.  I called now and then as I made my way through about 1/2 mile of woods where I had heard birds for several years prior.  I got to a road and decided to head back to the truck along the road.  Prior to daylight, there was not another vehicle on the road.  As I headed the 1/2 mile back down the road to the truck, there were 7 other trucks along the road in that distance.  I haven't hunted that piece of ground since.  
I hope you get your bird despite the folks who don't have respect for other hunters.   My dad used to refer to it as "N" - word fishing, and yes, he grew up redneck.  
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

stryker82

Quote from: lightsoutcalls on April 03, 2012, 11:34:00 AM
I had it happen a few years ago on local public land.  I was calling a bird that was well over 100 yards through the woods.  I could tell he was closing the distance.  I never heard another hen sound in the woods, so I know the other guy wasn't calling.  (I never saw the other hunter before or after he shot.)  The bird was probably about 60 yards and across a road when he gobbled the last time before being shot by another hunter.  I haven't gone back to the area.  
On the same piece of property (WMA- over 7,000 acres) I got in before daylight in a patch of woods.  I called now and then as I made my way through about 1/2 mile of woods where I had heard birds for several years prior.  I got to a road and decided to head back to the truck along the road.  Prior to daylight, there was not another vehicle on the road.  As I headed the 1/2 mile back down the road to the truck, there were 7 other trucks along the road in that distance.  I haven't hunted that piece of ground since.  
I hope you get your bird despite the folks who don't have respect for other hunters.   My dad used to refer to it as "N" - word fishing, and yes, he grew up redneck.  I'm almost to the point of not going back, but I have no where else to hunt at the moment. It would have been worse if my wife had been with me. I would have snapped for sure

870FaceLift

:angry9:

I haven't had any bad experiences personally, but I don't hunt them much.  However, I have a cousin in KY that strictly hunts a nearby WMA.  He has numerous cam pics and video of deer wounded from unethical shots.  One doe that he harvested had a bolt/arrow stuck upright in it's rump.  
Pass it on...

Reloader

My bud had a guy slip in on him opening day.  When he got up to leave the guy was about 50yds from his decoy waiting on my buddy to call one in.  He never even called, just saw the decoy and slipped in waiting for a shot.

I have permission to hunt on some private that is surrounded by public.  Last week a guy slipped in on a hot bird and smoked him on the private land.  I went over twds the shot and found the feathers, but the guy was long gone.

Hunting public land is a real pain and about the only way I like to hunt public is in very deep as most folks seem to stay out near roads.  I also like to get permission to cross private and enter the public as many times private borders keep the yahoos well away.

Basser69

I had a guy get between me and two toms opening morning and he killed both of them. He never so much as made a sound. Just cut me off and killed 'em both

Kylongspur88

Most people wont go where I go when I hunt a WMA. Not to say I can afford to be careless, but I have yet to run into anyone. Haven't even really found any other boot tracks or litter.

turkey_slayer

Quote from: Basser69 on April 03, 2012, 11:54:47 AM
I had a guy get between me and two toms opening morning and he killed both of them. He never so much as made a sound. Just cut me off and killed 'em both

Have had that happen a few times myself and it burns me up especially when I know they had to hear me calling.

hoyt

I was getting out of my truck one time at the parking section on some public land in Fl.  when another guy pulled in and was getting his stuff together. He ended up walking from his truck with an open can of Budweiser in one hand a cigarette in his mouth and a recurve with arrow nocked in his other hand. This was deer season...but this is what you deal with on public land.

You either have to go far enough back in or in places that are real hard to get to in order to have reasonable chance of good hunts on regular bases.

RutnNStrutn

The "joys" of public land hunting. Been there, experienced that, sadly it happens all the time.

bowhunter32

bowhunter32

happened to me a few times on private land....last year had 2 gobblers coming to my wife..some guy got in between us and shot one of them....then tried to call the other one back...really ticked me off cause she hasent killed a long beard yet....