OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Oklahoma Hunters???

Started by crenshawco, April 03, 2012, 10:25:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crenshawco

I am heading west this week to hunt the opening weekend. I just wanted to ask what you all are seeing from the birds right now? I spoke to my outfitter yesterday and he seemed to think that the birds were way ahead of schedule with a lot of hens nesting already. Any of y'all have any other reports?

Sand Man

What part of OK?

Had a buddy take his son out for the youth opener last weekend near Lawton.  Said the birds were gobbling their heads off.  Some still with hens, but a lot of lonely gobblers also.  They called up 7 after 1 o'clock.  Should be good.

Let the little twenty EAT!!!!

Gooserbat

I live in the eastern part of the state, but if your outfitter is right then you may have an ace in the hole.  Early season in western Ok can be tough if everything is hened up, but if they're on the nest then my experience is the tom's are out look'n for love, and it's like shooting fish in a barel.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

crenshawco

Quote from: Sand Man on April 03, 2012, 10:29:12 AM
What part of OK?

Had a buddy take his son out for the youth opener last weekend near Lawton.  Said the birds were gobbling their heads off.  Some still with hens, but a lot of lonely gobblers also.  They called up 7 after 1 o'clock.  Should be good.

We will be around Arnett, so the western part of the state.

kruk

Gooserbat - Where at in eastern okla? I am in Sequoyah county. Birds around here have slowed down a tad the past few days, but it should still be good. SE counties may be to late though. :-\

lightsoutcalls

I hope to head south of OKC for the weekend of the 13th.  My shop will be officially closed that weekend in observance of  Lights Out for some  OK rios.   ;D
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

runngun

Are you hunting with Windmill outfitters. Don't worry you will have a great time, there are plenty of birds around there. Early season be ready for the 2 year olds!!!
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

crenshawco

Yep we will be with Windmill. I am really excited I just got nervous after talking to Keith yesterday.

jblackburn

I'm in central OK and seeing small groups (2 -4) gobblers with a few hens in the mornings an evenings. They are still gobbling, but I agree they are a little a head of normal.  But, i'd rather have the hens gone nesting anyway!
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Gamblinman

Was out at Mangum last weekend. Saw lots of birds. Birds are broken up now into mostly small groups, with a tom or two and several hens running together. By 10:00 AM, some toms were by themselves, so it would appear hens are laying and starting to nest. This is the earliest I've ever seen this many toms out by themselvves.

Should be a spectacular opener Friday.

Gman
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

runngun

Crenshawco, I sent you a pm!!!
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Gooserbat

Quote from: kruk on April 03, 2012, 10:42:44 AM
Gooserbat - Where at in eastern okla? I am in Sequoyah county. Birds around here have slowed down a tad the past few days, but it should still be good. SE counties may be to late though. :-\

I live in Delaware Co.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

kcd

Kruk where you at in Sequoyah? I used to have property in Vian that had some good turkey hunting on it. I live in Ft Smith now but still hunt Leflore County around Heavener and yes its going to be hard with the late start this year.

crenshawco

Thanks for the replies so far guys

FttFttVroom!

Live and hunt in north central and northwest Oklahoma.....agree with the above when things seem a bit ahead this year.  Consider it a good thing.  I usually see my best hunting the later weekends in the season.  Seeing several nesting hens since last week, and with the early greenup....it's beautiful out there!