News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Anyone still hunting Florida?

Started by MiamiE, April 03, 2012, 08:26:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiamiE

:morning:

Ill be heading back up north, to a central Florida WMA, next weekend for the last time this season. Anyone else still hunting south and central Florida with any success? I've heard sometimes the hunting is good early in the season, then a lull in the middle, then it heats up again towards the end here in Florida.

cracker4112

I am.  All was pretty quiet where I was on Sunday (central FL WMA), but a buddy about a mile from me heard three birds. Up more north at my lease in Putnam County, I know they are tearing it up right now, but still henned up pretty bad. I am headed to public on Friday and Saturday, quota in the panhandle next week, and back to my lease for the end.  I hope some birds cooperate because work and such has kept me out of the woods too much so far!

MiamiE

Good luck man. I'm sure we are at the same WMA!

FL-Boss

North East/Central Fla -  was going off the first week.. I got a bird, heard a lot  of others.  Since that first week it's been real quite.  I'm also hopping they will crank up again for round 2 before season is over.

MiamiE

I'll be happy to see a bachelor group of gobblers or even jakes!

RutnNStrutn

I've got one more hunt left, starting on the 14th. I took Flhuntress out on her hunt this last weekend. Dueled with 3 gobblers the first day and saw a fen hens. Then Sunday I called in a hen shortly after flydown, then a little while later, a big gobbler, then a group of 6 gobblers and a jake came out. They ran off the big gobbler, then came back to our setup. Flhuntress killed one of the gobblers. Seems like there aren't that many hens running around, and the gobblers I've been seeing are henless. So the timing might be perfect for your hunt! :anim_25:

MiamiE

Let's hope! I was going to pick up a special opp permit for GSW that popped up but decided to stick to the area I know real well. Hope everyone has good luck the next couple weeks!

blackmagic

Opening weekend was incredible.  I ended my season on my second sit.  Buddy hunted that saturday and killed one.  Since then, it's been quiet.  I've talked to 4 people hunting other central florida WMAs and they've got the same story.  Hopefully, this weekend will be a bit different.
If I were you, I'd pick up that GSW permit.

MiamiE

I got one in central Florida last weekend, although they were talking a lot. I have some good spots that should still hold the birds. I passed on the permit based on it being the last hunt on a small tract, and the distance I have to travel. Couldn't justify it.