turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Am I the only one...

Started by headbanger, April 03, 2012, 07:53:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turkey Trot

You might have to figure out how to get the hens' attention and have them lead him in.

Or perhaps annoy him with gobbling, fighting purrs, etc. to get him to check out his potential challengers.
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

headbanger

May have to see if I can borrow a strutter deke and throw a gobble or 2 at him. If that don't work my wife is gonna be PO cause the kitchen sink will be next :TooFunny:

headbanger

heathwesley

You are not alone and I don't blame ya.  If you never kill him don't ever regret the fact that you kept going after him.  The book of turkey huntn may say leave those stubborn birds and stop wasting your time.  I say why???  He is a challenge go after him.  I hunted the same bird last year for the last 17 mornings of turkey season last year and never killed him.  I could write a book about those 17 mornings.  I even shot and missed him on the 4th of 17 straight mornings.  (My heart was broken by the way).  That bird roosted in the same group or trees with two hens and gobbled off the roost everyone of those morning including the morning after I peppered him pretty good (tough animals arent they!).  On the last morning or Illiois season I was within yards of him but because of the thick growth by Mid May I never could get a shot at him.  That bird has a nickname "The Boston Gobbler" - named after the property I hunted him on.  You can bet we will be back out after the Boston Gobbler this season.  We will have a great time and kill or no kill we wont regret the hunt.  Thats one of the beautiful parts about turkey hunting.  More about the journey than the destination.

heathwesley

Headbanger I just noticed someone on here mentioned using a full strut turkey decoy!  I would absolutely give that a shot.  More times than not a dominate Tom will come running in.  That is from my experience.  Jakes dont seem to run from them either.  They just come in much more sheepishly.  Kill em!

Jay

I wasted my time for 2/3 years hunting the same Tom in Nebraska, and he had a distinct color variation, so I knew it was the same bird.  :-\ I think he finally died of old age.

Hookhunter

My best suggestion would be a full strut jake decoy like the jake mobile. I have learned (the hard way) these decoys as only useful in a few situations. Big old dominate bird who's been around a while or a bird who has been called at so much he just stops workin. Seems to me the strutting jake just really PO's them hopefully Into headache range..  Just my 2 cents worth. Hope it helps

Justin
Yelp,yelp,yelp.. Gobble, BOOM!!!! Flop,flop,flop

jakebird

Man, i'd love to see u give that old bird the dirt nap he deserves. My opinion would be to lay it on with a strutter deke and a gobble call. I wouldnt be coy with it either. I'd give him hell on it and really make him think there's a new dog in town. Ive seen this no gobblin behavior before with real stud gobblers. The hens know who the boss is and all he has to do is spit and drum. If you feel comfortable, u can make a decent spit and drum with your mouth. I'd do that, too. Stick that strutter deke in his favorite spot. U gotta make this one mad to get him. Keep us posted. I love (hate) bad birds!
That ol' tom's already dead. He just don't know it yet .... The hard part is convincing him.

Are you REALLY working that gobbler, or is HE working YOU?

headbanger

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Looks like it's time to pull out all the stops on this ol boy. You'd think that it would be rather simple to pin him down on the 120 acres (half wooded and half pasture) he calls home but....not to be... yet ;D We have this love hate thing going on :happy0064:

headbanger