turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Am I the only one...

Started by headbanger, April 03, 2012, 07:53:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

headbanger

that has the "stuck on one bird" affliction? Here in GA the season has been open a little more than a week. I have been able to hunt 2 weekends only. The subordinate birds are responding to calling and could have limited out by now ( 3 birds ) but NOOOO ??? There is this one old bird that whipped my tail last season and he is picking up right where we left off last year. HE DOES NOT GOBBLE!! EVER!!! I know where he lives and have actually been on him twice already this year. Both times he has been henned up. Once in the woods and once in an open pasture. I've set up on him numerous times and can't close the deal. I can't get him into range and I am becoming obsessed with him. This 4 year old bird is whipping my 55 year old butt ;D It's a great time but I'm losing sleep over this ball of feathers! You boys have any idea? Give me something to work with here! If something don't go my way with this ol buzzard quick I'm gonna have to roll up one of those 2 year olds :z-guntootsmiley:

OK enough of my sleep deprived whining and moaning...Carry on men!!

headbanger

turkey_slayer

I have got obsessed with a bird before myself. Wasted a lot of weeks on em to till I killed them. He isnt gobbling cause he doesnt have to with all the hens.  Go kill some birds then come back and get him when the hens are nesting. I do have one question. How the heck can you guys tell if a bird is 2,3,4, ect years old?  ;D

Gamblinman

Quote from: turkey_slayer on April 03, 2012, 08:05:24 AM
I have got obsessed with a bird before myself. Wasted a lot of weeks on em to till I killed them. He isnt gobbling cause he doesnt have to with all the hens.  Go kill some birds then come back and get him when the hens are nesting. I do have one question. How the heck can you guys tell if a bird is 2,3,4, ect years old?   ;D

LOL..because we been chasin the same bird for two or three years.

Gman
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

MiamiE

Quote from: Gamblinman on April 03, 2012, 08:10:05 AM

Gman

Very true! :toothy12:

Rio Fan

I love to eat turkey, so I'd go kill one of those other birds and then go back to hunting the one that's giving you fits.  Good luck!

headbanger

Quote from: Gamblinman on April 03, 2012, 08:10:05 AM
Quote from: turkey_slayer on April 03, 2012, 08:05:24 AM
I have got obsessed with a bird before myself. Wasted a lot of weeks on em to till I killed them. He isnt gobbling cause he doesnt have to with all the hens.  Go kill some birds then come back and get him when the hens are nesting. I do have one question. How the heck can you guys tell if a bird is 2,3,4, ect years old?   ;D

Gman

This  :angry9:   Remember...this bird DOES NOT GOBBLE. Even last year he was the stud muffin always covered up by hens and I never heard him gobble once. Same this year plus he is 5-6 lbs heavier (by sight) than any of the other toms on this piece of ground. And...I'm sure I let him walk 2 yrs ago as a 2 yr old. Couldn't kill him at 3 and now after him at 4.  To my dismay I know this ol boy all too well :toothy12:

headbanger

lightsoutcalls

You may have to put that stick and string away and break out the Hevi Shot.  ;)

Hope you put an end to your nemesis and get back to a good night's rest.  :icon_thumright:
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

headbanger

Quote from: lightsoutcalls on April 03, 2012, 10:51:19 AM
You may have to put that stick and string away and break out the Hevi Shot.  ;)

Hope you put an end to your nemesis and get back to a good night's rest.  :icon_thumright:

Thanks for your concern :laugh:Yep, I love chasing game with the longbow but...as a matter of fact the battered  ol 870 was patterened with some Hevi-shot mag blend and a SSX choke prior to opening day with THIS bird in mind :fud

headbanger

Shellwaster

I don't have a clue as to help you with your situation but depending on where you are in GA I will offer my services to be a pusher for you. I'll set up in one spot while you are on the other side of the bird and I'll call and try to push him to you. 

Reloader

Sometimes those big old stubborn ones take a bit of scouting and just being in the right place at the right time.  If you can just get some sort of pattern where you've seen him most, you can hunt him like a deer.  It's much more fun to call one in and hear him shake the woods, but sometimes it takes a different approach on those stubborn ones.

Basser69

I am stuck on one bird right now. I have hunted him for seven days so far. I know about where he roosts in a hard wood bottom. Heck, on day 4 or 5 I was actually set up against the tree he was roosted in on accident. He is dealing me fits! So you are not the only one dealing with an pain in the neck bird

runngun

Naw, you ain't the only one that gets hung up on one bird. It happens to me too and did this year. I hunted a bird this year since our opening day March 24 but I ended it yesterday morning with some soft calling from my Hillbilly Custom mouth call (from jyoung on here) and my Browming Gold 10 gauge. he was a good one 18.5 pounds 10.5 inch beard and 1 3/8s spurs.

Good Luck and God Bless
             Ray
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

MOStrutter

Keep on him and don't give up on the bow.  I love birds like this.  They are so frustrating but even more rewarding when he takes that final dirt nap.  I'm curious if you are using any decoys?  If he is by far the dominant bird in the immediate area, maybe you should try a strutter decoy?  Another suggestion is that if he is henned up, then watch the hens and see if you can find the dominant hen.  Call to her and get her coming to you.  He will be close behind.

headbanger

Quote from: MOStrutter on April 03, 2012, 03:47:49 PM
Keep on him and don't give up on the bow.  I love birds like this.  They are so frustrating but even more rewarding when he takes that final dirt nap.  I'm curious if you are using any decoys?  If he is by far the dominant bird in the immediate area, maybe you should try a strutter decoy?  Another suggestion is that if he is henned up, then watch the hens and see if you can find the dominant hen.  Call to her and get her coming to you.  He will be close behind.

Yep, I've tried hen...hen and jake...jake...no dekes. Never used a strutter...never wanted to take the chance of scaring off a younger bird who had been whupped by the dominant bird. Now...I don't care to see the sub birds as I've passed them already waiting on this ol boy. He is THE MAN on this block of land. I had him in the brush at 30 yds spittin and drummin last Sat. AM due to ticking off the dominant hen and matching her call for call but was pinned down. She and 4 more hens came in on a string and you are correct he was not far behind...just not in longbow range >:( HIS DAYS ARE NUMBERED...HE JUST DON'T KNOW IT YET!

headbanger

MOStrutter

Season doesn't start up here until the 16th and hearing all of this is getting me crazy excited.  I love those big spurred stubborn birds that just seem to stay at 40 yards and always seem to stop behind a tree or rose bush.  I would borrow a strutter decoy and see if it ticks him off enough to come in.  I keep one on hand just in case I run across a bird like this.