OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Nebraska Bound

Started by Beard Buster, April 03, 2012, 01:24:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beard Buster

My father, uncle, and I are heading out to the Pine Ridge region of Nebraska to do some Merriams hunting at the end of April.  I was wondering if anyone had any tips or words of wisdom for us.  Anything would be appreciated.

hookedspur

Cant offer tips but GOOD LUCK  :icon_thumright:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

RutnNStrutn

All I can tell you is call loud, early and often!!! ;D Those Nebraska Merriams love to hear themselves talk!! :icon_thumright: They gobble like no other birds I've ever heard before, or since!! Good luck!! :anim_25:

jayjay

Good luck to ya, hope you have a fun, safe trip

joey46

Please post a follow up when you get back.  NE is on my "to do" list.  Good luck.

hootn

where in he pine ridge are you hunting?

scott

Beard Buster

We are going to be hunting just south of Chadron.

hobbes

If you aren't on a bird or hearing birds.......move.  Keep moving and calling until you find a bird that responds.  You can definitely kill them by sitting and being more patient, but I've usually covered plenty of ground and did plenty of calling.  I dont' think any one area is better than the other.

Ol'Mossy

Gobblerstopper

I think all of western Nebraska is covered up with birds.  My advice would be nothing more than what has already been stated.  Call often and move until you find birds.  Shouldn't be a problem, they are everywhere.

pseshooter300

Is there a lot of public land there
Tater
Thunder Chicken Mafia
This Ain't Hollywood

hootn

Quote from: pseshooter300 on April 05, 2012, 09:09:40 PM
Is there a lot of public land there

yep there is a bunch. it is all south of chadron