turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

BBQ turkey samich....

Started by Reloader, April 02, 2012, 01:26:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reloader

I usually give away the legs and thighs of my birds to anyone willing to take them as I've never really cared for the meat.  I do love me some breast though :D

I decided to try some thighs a bit differently and they turned out quite well.

I cut the meat off the bone, sprinkled cajun seasoning & salt all over them, tossed in the pressure cooker, covered with water, and let it perk for over an hour.  I then put them in the crock pot and poured in a bottle of KCMP Honey flavored BBQ sauce and let that simmer a while.

Em em good.

Turkeyfan

pullit

I might have to try that one myself.
You should have enough for everyone to try after your TX trip.... :icon_thumright:

flhuntress

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

boomer

Thats how I mainly do snow geese. Put them in a slow cooker with apple juice and brown sugar for about 8hrs then drain. Shred the meat and add bbq sauce.

cannonball

stone road turkey calls

Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

n2deer

Dinger

Man, if you have a pressure cooker....you don't need to cut the meat off of the bone.  My wife puts in the whole leg and the back of the turkey and pressure cooks that for about 25 minutes.  You can just pull the bones out and the meat stays in the cooker.  Makes a killer soup that way. 

Hognutz

That samich looks wonderful. It is an assault on the taste buds, because it looks like beef, but tastes like turkey. It messes with your mind. (At least mine)..
The pressure cooker is key. Without it, even the gravy is tough, when cooking thighs and legs..
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

TheTwistedOne

I've been doing something very similar to that to legs and thighs for years.  I always save them for this.  It's WORTH IT!

After I filet the breast meat out.  I leave the turkey laying on its back for the whole procedure.  I skin the thighs and drumsticks while they are still on the bird.  I then cut the thigh meat next to body until I expose each hip joint.  Put a hand on each knee and push down hard spreading the thighs apart.  You should be able to POP each hip joint with that action.  You might have to grab the breast bone and POP one at a time.  I cut the drumstick bones just above the joint with the leg with a set of limb pruners.  I then clean it up and freeze the whole leg.

To cook it I just put the whole leg in a crockpot and cover it with water.  I throw a couple chicken boullion cubes in there.  Leave it in the crockpot on low overnight.  When you fish the leg out the next morning you can pull all the tendons and bones out of the meat easily.

Chop up the meat.  Add your favorite BBQ sauce and put it back into the crockpot.

Makes great Sandwiches!    

BHMTitan

I do the same here: http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,21581.0.html  Very similiar to what TheTwistedOne does.

Today I have the legs / thighs from this past Saturday's bird cooking.... planning on making a pot pie!

albrubacker

Looks like a good nap in the waiting!
The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

Reloader

All those ideas sound good.  Never thought about the apple juice and brown sugar, that sounds really good.

TTO, That's how I skin mine as well.

John,  No joke man, I had 16 legs and thighs to put up.  I just sliced off chunks of meat off several before I froze them and made about 1/2 gallon of this BBQ.  Gona hit it again for lunch today.