OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

My first hunt

Started by huntintherock, April 02, 2012, 01:23:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

huntintherock

I got to go on my first hunt sunday. I dont have any calls yet so I decided to just try and stalk one. About thirty minutes in I heard my first gobble. I started heading his direction. After a few minutes I spot him sticking his head up from behind a brush pile. Now the bad part the brush pile was about thirty to fourty yards on the other side of the fence that marks the property line. I decided to stalk through the woods some more maybe give him time to cross over. No such luck maybe ill get him next weekend  :OGani:

a-j calls

"I decided to stalk "  that's how accidents happen.

stone road turkey calls

You better get you a call or you are going to have a load of #4s come your way :fud: :z-dizzy:
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

870FaceLift

I highly doubt that you're going to sucessfully stalk a turkey.  There are certainly methods of using the woods to close the distance on a mouthy gobbler, but chances are, that he will see you long before you see him.  Sneeking through the woods to get on top of a bird is also dangerous.  You don't know where other hunters are and they don't know where you are. You need to get handy with a call or two and come up with some strategies for hunting your property.  What kind of scouting work have you put in?  Are you hunting private or public property?
Pass it on...

huntintherock

The property that I hunt is private property its our family farm so im pretty confident that there is no one else hunting unless they are trespassing as far as scouting goes I have walked the property but truthfully im not sure what im looking for any tips or advice would be  greatly appreciated I hope to get a call this weekend but im not sure which kind I should get a box call a diaphram or slate thanks again God bless

870supermagnum

huntintherock, it sounds like you really want to improve you turkey hunting skills.  Lovett Williams has written a book titled "The Art and Science of Turkey Hunting," which is an excellent source of information on the wild turkey and how to hunt them.  He has written other books on the wild turkey that are equally as informative.  There's a number of call makers that have tuitoral DVD/CD on how to use the box, friction, and diaphram calls.  Buy one and some calls, and practice using a voice recorder.  Listen to the DVD/CD and then attempt to sound like the demonstration.  Record youself calling and play it back, then make adjustments until you mimic the call. 

Use this board and ask lots of question, even stupid ones.  The hunters here will help you.

Stalking a wild turkey is almost impossible because they stay alive by spotting and avoiding danger before it gets to close.  They have excellent eyes and ears.  You can ambuse them if you know their direction of travel and set up in front of them and let them walk into your kill zone.

I hope you enjoy many great hunts.   :fud:    :newmascot:

bayou country

Let the addiction begin!!

Spring_Woods

Quote from: huntintherock on April 03, 2012, 06:51:01 AM
The property that I hunt is private property its our family farm so im pretty confident that there is no one else hunting unless they are trespassing as far as scouting goes I have walked the property but truthfully im not sure what im looking for any tips or advice would be  greatly appreciated I hope to get a call this weekend but im not sure which kind I should get a box call a diaphram or slate thanks again God bless

O man there are tons of threads on here. Stick around for a few days and read up!

btw- I'm willing to bet that bird saw you.  ;)
"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

huntintherock

Thanks for the tips they have been helpful I checked out dr williams threads there was some good information there im gonna try to get some of his books and also get me a call and start practicing thanks again God bless  :thanks:

Hookhunter

Huntintherock, you sound like you are getting tha bug that goes around about this time every year. If you find yourself on the outdoor channel searching for hunting shows, compulsively checking OG.com or walking around the house making turkey sounds with your mouth you have been infecte!. As far as calls for a beginner to start on you can't go wrong with a push pull call or a pot&peg call both are pretty user friendly. Good luck to you and welcome to the addiction!......

Justin
Yelp,yelp,yelp.. Gobble, BOOM!!!! Flop,flop,flop

captin_hook

If you can, have a friend or family member who is a experienced turkey hunter go with u and show u some things. That's the best way to learn. You're gonna have a tough time stalking spring longbeards.

870FaceLift

PM me your address and I'll send you an old slate call to run.  :icon_thumright:
Pass it on...

Eric Gregg

Welcome to the game.
Now, get a good slate or box call and you will be alright.
Won't do much good just stalking.
By the way, never assume that you are alone in the turkey woods.
You never know........

Happy Hunting :funnyturkey:

RutnNStrutn

Huntintherock, you definitely need to get some calls, and a decoy or two, and practice the traditional way of turkey hunting. However, there is nothing wrong with stalking. Some people like doing it, some people are dead set against it. It comes down to your personal choice. I have done it on private and public land, although on both I am very aware of my surroundings to make sure that no accidents happen. I've never even come close to having an accident while stalking.
Understand too though, that it is best to learn about turkeys, spend time hunting them and understanding how they act and what they do. Once you start to get comfortable with them, then it is time to start seeing how much movement you can get away with on hens or jakes with no gobbler around. You'll be surprised, especially if the birds are distracted by a decoy.
After that, don't be afraid to get up and go after turkeys, just realize that on occasion, you're gonna get busted. No ifs ands or buts, its gonna happen. Guess what I'm saying is that I was always told you must sit perfectly still, the turkeys can see you blink your eye, you can never move on them. BS!! After a couple of years of watching turkeys walk out of my life, I decided, what have I got to lose? I started going for it, and I've killed many a turkey that I normally wouldn't have.
Of course I enjoy a gobbler charging into a decoy in full strut, and giving me a great show before I drop the hammer on him, but I'd rather stalk him up instead if he is headed out of my life. Good luck!!

mnturkey

Welcome and keep asking questions.
In my opinion the biggest challenge is Patience
SEMPER FI