Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

12 Year Old Grandson does it on his own in Kansas!

Started by Mike Honcho, April 02, 2012, 12:25:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Honcho

I've been hunting turkeys and deer with my grandson Kolbi since he was 9.  He is a good hunter, good shot and a safe hunter.   I gave him a used slate pot call last week and an old hen and jake decoy I don't use anymore.  He has a 20 ga. Mossberg turkey special that I keep for him (he lives 4 hours away from me since they  don't have a gun safe).  He got his grades up and talked his mom into letting him out of school this morning and taking him turkey hunting on a relatives farm.  I questioned the logistics of all this...getting mom up early, driving 45 miles to the farm , borrowing a Mossberg 12 ga. 500 from his great grandad at 6:45 am this morning etc. etc. )  They got in at 7:00 am , set up one jake decoy and when he heard a tom gobble right after flydown he called to him a couple of times and got him coming.  Long story short he called him in from approx. 300 yards away and sealed the deal at 40 yards (3" Winchester turkey load, lead 6's). Mom was sitting by the tree next to him and got to enjoy the whole hunt!   This is youth season in Kansas so he is ahead of me one bird for the year!  I'm real proud of Kolbi!!!!!

JVA54

boomer

jakebird

Now that is just plumb awesome right there! You must feel an immense feeling of pride knowing you did your job right and taught him right everything he needed to know. Watching a pupil succeed on his very own is a tremendous feeling. One of my best buddies, i called in his first bird for him, last year flew solo and scored on a big ol gobbler all by himself. Watching your kids or grandkids do that must be what i felt plus tenfold. I called in my eight yr old boy's first bird last year and cant wait till he does it "all by hisself." Congrats on raising such a fine young hunter!
That ol' tom's already dead. He just don't know it yet .... The hard part is convincing him.

Are you REALLY working that gobbler, or is HE working YOU?

stone road turkey calls

Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

guesswho

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

TauntoHawk

you must be incredibly PROUD!!!

way to go Mom for agreeing to take him as well
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Mike Honcho

Thanks for the kind words guys...I am very proud...I have two daughters that don't hunt (they do like to target shoot) so my grandson's are like sons to me when it comes to hunting.

Kolbi has a great mom Crystal to take him hunting when I'm not around to. 

Oh by the way....tom had 9" beard and 1 1/4" spurs...not bad for a Rio.

Kolbi's ready for number two...I'll be hunting with him this weekend and his younger brother Tanner...pressure is on me now...maybe I'll let Kolbi do the calling!

Hognutz

Those are the kind of kid stories that I love to hear. It really doesn't get any better than that. Well done, Kolbi, and congrats to the rest of the family..
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

dirt road ninja

Congratulations. I was allowed to miss a day or two for adventures once a year or so.

Eric Gregg

Once again these young guns are getting it done!
Way to go :smiley-char092:

Rope

Freedom is NOT free

ctwny1

WTG Kolbi...Congrats on a fine gobbler and a great job well done!

timbrhuntr

Good for Kolbi and a tip of the hat to mom for going and sitting with him. Thats awesome!