turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Just one hunt

Started by Stoney Creek, April 01, 2012, 10:42:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stoney Creek

Well..... It sux when your body lets you down... Got to go on Sat in Tn... Had a great hunt with my buddy on a new place we got permission on. We had never set foot on it but i had listened one morn after work. With that info we went in early and set up. Cardinals started and i told Jeff its about time, he blew a owl call and 3 lifted our caps at 70 yards....well we couldn't do anything because we could see them and a few hens. Heard at least 10 gobblers up and down the valley. When fly down came there was 5 gobblers in one tree and 2 in another, they all flew out into a field with 4 hens. When they hit the ground i finally got the red wasp to work with 2 fly downs with a wing. Gobbles everywhere!!!! Well, we had heard some more around 150 yards away and they came in running, 10 minutes and they were at 20 yards and they all strutted and drummed the last 50 yards. Jeff laid the biggest one down but i had no shot as they flew around the hill. All the birds ran to the right out of the field and we just sat back for about 20 min to enjoy his first bird of the year. To make a long story short, no bird for me. Bad timing, another hunter trying to slip in and bushwack along with just a little to far for me, hard to believe we had 6 more gobblers from 20 to 50 yards and no shot. Well, we moved up and down and all over trying to get positioned and we quit at 12 pm.... Left em gobbling and i never do that, ever ever. Now, my knee is shot, swelled up and could not hardly get out of bed this morn. Try as i might i could not go this morn, had to leave all of those birds.. Maybe tomorrow... His bird was 10 inch beard with 1 inch spurs with both tips broken, mountain bird.. Man, i look forward to this all year and now i'm laid up, Gotta get better it's killing me today.......