OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

crow call?

Started by Lenny870, March 31, 2012, 10:36:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lenny870

I have a couple crow calls but I can honestly say I have never ever had a turkey gobble at it. I can do better blowing a whistle what am I doing wrong
:help:

magedon44

you got to catch em at the right time!

kenturkey89

Quote from: magedon44 on April 20, 2012, 04:03:52 PM
you got to catch em at the right time!

That's exactly right.  Sometimes birds just aren't in the mood to respond to anything, whether it be locator calls or hen yelps, and other days they're just itching to gobble at something.
Brian

Ranman

I have not had much luck getting them to shock gobble to my crow call either, but have called in some crows, and they were cuttin up causing ole tom to lose it. That has happened several times. I use a call made by Michael Bucner.  It's amazing how well it calls in crows. 
Randy

fsu33952

A guy once told me that you have to be careful how you blow a crow call. Don't just go out and randomly start hacking on this thing, because you might be blowing a danger call to them. He told me that making the crow danger call to a gobbler will shut him up quicker than anything. I have no reason to doubt him. Very sincere guy that I know has hunted turkeys for about 50 years and has killed truck loads of them. When i started using a crow caller it came with a card that told what each call a crow makes means. I stay away from the alarm type calls that a crow might make. I have scared crows before and they start making a racket and it cause gobblers stop gobbling. It might all be coincidence, but there might be something to it, so I just try and not take scare wild crows or make their danger calls and i get them to gobble at a crow all the time. Also like the guy said, it all depends in what mood they are in. I heard one gobble a train, airplane, and a log truck jake brake yesterday morning.

FloppinTom

WOW! ???
I flat out wouldn't be caught dead in the spring turkey woods without a crow call! Its just invaluable. You can close in on a gobbler while keeping him shock gobbling. You can locate with them. You can get a gobbler thats gone silent to hen yelping to let you know hes still close. I blow a crow call every time before I get up to move on a gobbler thats quit responding. You think hes gone and when you blow the crow call he gobbles so close it darn near blows your hat off! If I would've stood up to leave I would have spooked him.
There are more ways to use a crow call when spring gobbler hunting than I have time to explain.
I use Faulks crow calls because they are loud and can be used as a hawk callall in one. Just follow the hail calls or harrassing calls of crows after hawks or owls. I carry several with different pitches, A lot of times its the different tone that gets a response. Same for owl calls.
Walter
Go early, stay late, be patient and sit still.

Lonehowl

That is something I always forget to mention when I post a crow call up for sale...you can cover the end with a finger, and blow sideways on the toneboards to get a great hawk scream. Usually, at least on wood toneboards, one side will be a lot better than the other. Most guys mark it with a pen or what have you, so they can always tell.

Also, a lot of times, a crow call will blow better on one side or another, blow it then flip it over and try it again, sometimes you can tell a difference in the way it blows/sounds. Lot of crow hunters would mark that side as thier favorite.

Mark