OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Deft spray users...which kind of deft do you use

Started by erictski, March 31, 2012, 08:13:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

erictski

I have a few pots that i got from brookside game calls and i want to seal them with deft spray.  I see they have water based and regular, and also gloss, semi gloss, satin.

I used danish oil to bring out the color in the woods and now just want to seal them up

handcannon

I use Deft sanding sealer that comes in a quart can. I just spread it with a sponge brush. It works good for me. Never used the aerosol version of it.

http://www.deftfinishes.com/trade/products/lacquer-sanding-sealer

erictski

Thanks guys, I did not know about it leaving a orange peel finish...i thought it would be nice and smooth.  I will try to spong it on.

Longbeardfever4ever

I used DEFT spray on some pots and never will again.  Looked beautiful for about 2 weeks, then started to wear off, even after 5 coats.
Hook's Custom Calls
Keep The Fever Custom Calls
Romans 3:24

woodwzrd

Go to your local sporting goods store and get a bottle of Birchwood Casey Tru oil and wipe on three coats buffing with steal wool between coats and you should be good to go. Just my .02

M,Yingling

Ive read few different places that bug spray will destroy deft,, think i would go with sanding sealer then spar  or what the others said
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

stone road turkey calls

I use deft on some of my calls, not the spray type i use the brush on only gloss. however i use it in a air brush to aply it, turnes out great. you must prepear your surface to accept what ever finish you use, if it's not right you will get unaceptable results. orange peel is caused by ambiant temperature, material, and atomization. ie it's 90 and humid, material has ben cut to thin, air pressure to high or low. don't blame the product it's how you use it. the bug spray thing, i have never had a problem with it, or a complaint. if you are around that much bug spray i would worry about my health not my call. the only thing about deft (the gloss type) that i don't like is you may get a mirror flash from it, but your hand coveres up most of the call. put it on i think you will be happy

Gary
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

flatliner

larry9988

flatliner is right, high deet spray will destroy a deft finish, it will also eat the rubber off of you binocs and rangefinders, will mess up camo on your gun.

stone road turkey calls

Ticks hate the taste of guns and turkey calls no need to spray them with deet
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

jwiggin

If you are using Spar is it going on straight or mixed with mineral spirits? I just used tru oil for the first time and was really impressed with the results but I think I would get a can of spray for the final finish.

eaglea1

FYI, don't use any of those bug sprays around vehicles, will take the paint right off. :(

KryptoniteKills

deft spray works great for me. only get orange peel when apply too heavy of a coat. 2 coats of sanding sealer and 2 to 3 coats of gloss makes em purdy.