North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Shoot a coyote or gobbler

Started by BOFF, February 07, 2011, 08:26:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hunting situation. Big Gobbler on the right of barrel, coyote on left of barrel. Can only shoot one. Which one do you choose and why?

Coyote
Big Gobbler
Neither, I was asleep
Neither, I wanted to watch what would happen.

mossy835

Old Tom for the smoker. Reason I have my dead coyote as my third shell and getting to it would cause both to run and I might as well have been napping. Also I only get to hunt 3 -4 days a season and I drive one way 6 hours but where I hunt yotes are hunted by the locals 365 days a year. To each his own.

ghillie

Deff killing that gobbler!!  If possible pull off a running shot at the yote....make him think twice about coming round these parts again...

Like already stated...Iowa has limited days to kill a bird...once that tag is filled it's game on for the yote   :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Basser69

Quote from: ghillie on February 07, 2011, 11:27:09 AM
Deff killing that gobbler!!  If possible pull off a running shot at the yote....make him think twice about coming round these parts again...

What he said

knightrider

gobbler, if i have worked him in to gun range im taking him home, i dont eat yotes and besides i can kill 365 days a year :fud: :newmascot:

Duke0002

Like Tail Feathers, I had that decision to make a few years ago.  Let the yote pass and a short while later son and I doubled on gobs.  Maybe in different circumstances I would have popped the yote, but not on that day.

lowcountry

Smoked a yote last year....stopped him 10 yards from the decoy.  DIRT NAP  :you_rock:

That said I would still have smoked the gobbler first if he had been there.

simpzenith

I voted Gobbler but it really depends on the situation. I'm hunting out-of-state public land most of the time so there no question which one I'm shooting. Now if it's my own land or land that I'm managing, then I may consider shooting the coyote. Since I don't hunt with a single shot and I'm quick with my pump, in a real world situation, I'm shooting the gobbler then the coyote!

archdriver

I would  shoot the gobbler,  then  test the  premise of your poll by swinging on the yote.
ArchDriver

letinmfly

I would shoot the Yote, unless the gobbler happened to be the biggest I've ever seen/called to the gun.  Especially if it was on my own land.
Captain of the former Gobble Kings

huntinhard

I would definately put the gobbler down first, but if I am on private ground and carrying my "just in case I see a good eatin' hog" buckshot and I have the timeand ability to slip one of them into the number two spot I would drop the bird and definately let some lead fly at the dog.

Skeeterbait

I am not shooting the yote.  I don't think you can control them by gun.  They have been shooting and trapping and poisoning them out west with little success for many decades.  I read somewhere that taking members out of the pack only causes them to increase their production of pups.  So you may be doing more harm than good shooting them.  Article said that the only thing that controlled their population long term is the available food supply.

turkey slayer

Quote from: bird on February 07, 2011, 08:51:11 AM

I'm shooting the gobbler.  Our hunting seasons here in Iowa have a limited number of day to fill a tag so I'm filling my tag.  The yote I can shoot 365 days a year 24/7.  I'll get him another time with no tag required. 

I agree season is too short around here to let the gobbler go!

TANK

I would shoot the gobbler because I can come back and shoot the coyote when turkey season is over...........or before it starts

Crutch

If it was a good tom he is dying. Then I would make the yote find a taller gear.
Let everything that hath breath praise the Lord
:gobble: :gobble:

VaTuRkStOmPeR

the gobbler.

if the coyote happened to ruin the hunt and the gobbler was spooked, which is probably what the next sequence of events would be, id light up that coyote.