North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Shoot a coyote or gobbler

Started by BOFF, February 07, 2011, 08:26:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hunting situation. Big Gobbler on the right of barrel, coyote on left of barrel. Can only shoot one. Which one do you choose and why?

Coyote
Big Gobbler
Neither, I was asleep
Neither, I wanted to watch what would happen.

BOFF

Hunting situation. Big Gobbler on the right of barrel, coyote on left of barrel. You can only shoot one. Which one do you choose and why? If it was a Gobbler you had been trying to call in for 2 years, would it change your vote?

I'd shoot the coyote, just as I've been managing our land and game for 28 plus years, and it just seems to be the right thing to do in my situation. Even if it was a bird I'd been messing with for 2 plus years. Seems to me if he was that close, one already won the game.

I'd shoot a coyote over a big buck as well. I understand I'm not going to eradicate the coyote, but I'd like to try to get them down to smaller numbers.

God Bless,
David B.

PANYHunter

Good poll.  Gets ya thinking.  I voted coyote.  One reason is because its not everyday you call in a coyote.  2nd I think the turkey population would benefit more with one less coyote running around and there may be 2 toms next year.  In some states like NY coyote season isn't open during spring gobbler so i would shoot the big gobbler there.

bird

I'm shooting the gobbler.  Our hunting seasons here in Iowa have a limited number of day to fill a tag so I'm filling my tag.  The yote I can shoot 365 days a year 24/7.  I'll get him another time with no tag required. 

gob09

i would shoot the yote just because i've never killed one we have about 45 days to hunt birds and i feel it would be the right thing tro do

Woodsman4God

Big Gobbler,

I am limited to the amount of time I can spend in the woods and as Bird stated I cna shoot Yotes all year round on private land and even have a season where I can get them, Turkey hunting is short and once a year

joshua

:fud:  I'm shooting the yote everytime I have the chance.  I've killed quite a few in the past few years and only 1 has been during turkey season.  I was using my wingbone and caught him slipping across a field coming strait to me.  When he got to 25 yds I let him have it.
Turkeys are as smart as hunters make em and public land offers more classes.
George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

TauntoHawk

Quote from: bird on February 07, 2011, 08:51:11 AM

I'm shooting the gobbler.  Our hunting seasons here in Iowa have a limited number of day to fill a tag so I'm filling my tag.  The yote I can shoot 365 days a year 24/7.  I'll get him another time with no tag required. 

Thats how I feel, now Ive had coyotes come in to calls with no gobblers around and they got it every time
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

sodfather

The coyote every time and twice on sunday.

n2deer

Quote from: bird on February 07, 2011, 08:51:11 AM

Im filling tags if I can.

sugarray

I'd shoot the gobbler.  That is what I'm doing, turkey hunting.  I read online about coyotes and actually killing a coyote can bring in more as you have allowed others now to come into this one's range.  So, since I don't know much about the coyote population where I hunt, I sure don't want 2 moving in after I shoot 1.

redarrow

I would whack the song dog ,cause I have never taken one. Plus I would also be helping out the flock.Chances are I can still get the Gobbler later on. I hope.

timbrhuntr

Quote from: redarrow on February 07, 2011, 09:50:41 AM
I would whack the song dog ,cause I have never taken one. Plus I would also be helping out the flock.Chances are I can still get the Gobbler later on. I hope.

x2

alloutdoors

Shooting the gobbler, coyote season here in NY wouldn't be open.  Even if it were, I don't have any way to make use of a dead coyote in the spring, and I'm not going to shoot something just to let it rot.

Gobble!

Never seen a yote so I will kill him while I can

Tail Feathers

If I was out turkey hunting, I'd shoot the turkey.
If I as 'yote busting I'd shoot the yote.
I passed a yote a couple seasons back at 10 yards cause I didn't want to scare off a gobbler that wasn't even in sight yet.
Plus I didn't want to send a high $ Nitro round downrange without a turkey there! ;D
Love to hunt the King of Spring!