OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

If you have a Optima Sporting Barrel, What Turkey Choke do you use?

Started by worth612000, April 01, 2012, 12:36:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

worth612000

If you have a Optima Sporting Barrel, What Turkey Choke do you use? Talking about a standard optima thread, not a optima plus. Chokes for this barrel is very limited. I shoot a PureGold 670 and wanted to see what others may have used. SumToy if you read, I'm open to your experience with these barrels, I saw where you mention the thinness of the factory chokes and I agree.  Thanks

SumToy

We have been testing that. The new A-400 has same chokes basically.  We have found that they will swell.   We have got 2 new layouts in testing.  We have not had problem with them as of now.   Knock on wood. LoL.    We have had them go big numbers but you will always have a paper thin choke.   I think they should be used for sporting and not hunting.  Now that said the new gun has it so we all got to keep our fingers crossed we not have a problem.   
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

worth612000

Did see where Pattern Master is making a .665 for this barrel. May be too tight and for a $100 price tag would like to hear from others.

SumToy

The barrel is fine. The chokes are thin is what I am talking about.   Turkey loads are harder on the   choke then steel shot is.   The lay out of a turkey choke to get it to give a small big number 10 inch patterns.  The duck choke has very little taper in it. We had no trouble with them.  

Now you talk about that choke I know of a number of them that rolled the end and some that came apart at the end of the threads.  I will not say it is a problem with one brand choke. I seen it out of 2 of the big choke manufactures.   Now that is one of the deals is it choke company or choke design.  
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA