turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Trade Moss 500 for Rem 870 express ?

Started by Crappiepro, February 24, 2011, 08:52:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crappiepro

A buddy of mine wants to trade his Remington 870 express for my Mossberg 500. My gun is full Mossy Oak camo and has 2 barrels, one rifled slug and other smooth bore vent and both are ported. He has a vent rib barrel and smooth bore slug barrel that takes choke tubes. It also has the after market walnut thumb hole stock and the factory black stock. I know I could do more and have more choke tube options with the Remmy and was wanting to set-up a sure-shot style gun. Is the smooth bore slug barrel worth having and needing a rifled choke. What do you guys think?

S.C.C

I would yank his arm off!! :icon_thumright:
That would be a great trade to your benefit!!

mmusso

VAHUNTER

both good guns. both can be set up to perform in the turkey woods. just depends on which one you want to be carrying
Good things come to those who wait

Crappiepro

Well I aready have a Mossberg 535 ATS Tact-Turkey. I was wanting it to make a sure-shot style slug gun but the slug barrel needing a rifled choke makes me wander about and I never had any experience with a rifled choke.

FttFttVroom!

I'd take that trade even without the other barrel

Skeeterbait

OK are you familiar with the different types of slugs?  If not, there are rifled slugs also called fosters slugs.  These are full bore size and have their own rifling on them.  You shoot these through a smooth bore barrel.  Then there are sabot slugs.  These are smaller than bore size and are contained in a bore size sabot that discards in flight like a wad.  You fire these in a rifled barrel.  So it depends on which type of slug you want to use whether you will need a rifled barrel or rifled choke.  I can tell you that the one person I know who has used a rifled choke did have good results with it.  One other thing to consider is a short smooth bore improved cyl slug barrel makes a great home defense gun if that is important to you.

boyhowdy

S.C.C

Is the Rem. choke slug brl. cantlever for scope or does it have the rifle sites?
I may be interested in purchasing that brl. from you and then you can buy
a fully rifled brl. for the Rem. :icon_thumright:

Crappiepro

Well, I will meet up with him today and take alook at his gun. I have plenty of experience with rifled slug barrels, I shot sabots since they came out and Ive always had a cantilever barrel on my slug guns. I dont think his smooth bore is cantilevered but I'll look at it and maybe it will be up for-sale if not. I will be seting up a slug gun so after thinking about it I'll be gettin another full rifled cantilever slug barrel and take the guess work out of the rifled choke and slug issue's I think Ill go back to my Remington Copper Solid sabots. Thanks for the replies, Brad

S.C.C

If its matte black finish and rifle site's I would like first dibs on the brl. please.Thanks

Crappiepro

Quote from: S.C.C on February 25, 2011, 07:06:57 AM
If its matte black finish and rifle site's I would like first dibs on the brl. please.Thanks
PM send, You'll be the first to know after I find out more about the gun.   No problem, Brad