OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Strutting Hen

Started by K9Doc, March 26, 2012, 11:13:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redjones

Had a hen strut and gobble while pecking a hen decoy,very cool to see.

Greg
Semper Fi

Turkeyman

Called in a strutting gobbling hen several years ago.

Cowboy

Quote from: Turkeyman on April 24, 2021, 04:14:50 PM
Called in a strutting gobbling hen several years ago.
Same story here. In 2017 or 2018 I had a hen half gobble at my calling from behind a big rock in some real thick stuff. Around she came, wings dragging and fan raised all puffed up. Rather comical but neat to see. She was really aggressive. 

MK M GOBL

Have "Her" strutting right with the toms.

MK M GOBL

Gooserbat

I've saw it four times.  I mean full out strut.  Three times it was a display of dominance because I was mimicking her, and once she was strutting with a tom. The time I watched a hen strut with the tom was very neat. It was like they were dancing.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

outdoorsmen

About 10-12 years ago has 2 hens come in and 1 was full strut spitting and drumming.  Glad my to be wife was with me for witness.

CAPTJJ

ChesterCopperpot

This is a video a friend of mine shared from a hunt in 1990. The video was shot on VHS and I don't have any way to transfer the footage to a digital file so we tracked down a VCR and I filmed it off a television with my phone. The sound quality obviously isn't great since we had to do it that way, but you can hear the hen cutting real aggressively in the beginning of the video and then see her strutting as she approaches. Jump forward to the 5:45 mark for the best footage of her strutting. He'd actually witnessed another hen (perhaps the same hen) do the same thing the day before. Pretty rare thing to witness, but obviously it happens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0o5Iv1EUgc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RaspyD

I have seen several different hens strutting and once called in a hen that strutted and gobbled all the way in to 10 yards. The gobble sounded like someone shaking one of the old Red Wolfe gobble calls.
Perfection Turkey Calls

THattaway

Got video of a strutting hen a couple years back. Believe this is what Mr. Williams said is a hen with gobbler plumage as well. Pretty good contrast with strutting gobbler in same frame. Judge for yourself.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LdDr7PH3NhM&feature=youtu.be
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

catman529

I've seen hens strut a couple times. Not very often but if they get mad enough they will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

THattaway

I've always considered full fan and wing dragging to be strutting. Bowed up mean walking while putt and purr I've considered aggressive posturing. I've seen only a couple hens "strut" but a good many posture.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

g8rvet

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on March 28, 2012, 12:23:16 AM
A couple of days ago I got to see a strutting hen for the 1st time!!! :you_rock:
I called in a SC Lowcountry hen. When she got about 10 feet from my deke, she started puffing up. Then when she got to 5 feet, she blew up into full strut!!!! Full fan, wings dragging the ground, everything but a gobble.  :o :you_rock:  Then she walked up to my deke and started bumping it with her chest!! :icon_thumright:  The deke spun around on it's stake, and she followed, bumping it as she went. When her fan blocked her vision of me, I grabbed my cell phone and turned it to video mode. I got some video, but I can't figure out how to download it to the computer yet. When I do, I'll post it up.
It was a very cool experience, and the first time I've seen it in my turkey hunting career!! :z-guntootsmiley:

Too funny, exact same thing for me this year, right down to the cell phone.  I did not video though, just snapped a few pics.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

shatcher

What's this world coming to?