OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Strutting Hen

Started by K9Doc, March 26, 2012, 11:13:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

K9Doc

So I saw this question posted to Lovett Williams and he could not answer if Hens strutted or not.
Well, I can answer with a resounding YES!!!
3 or 4 seasons ago I was slipping from food plot to food plot looking for a gobbler.  Found a strutter and saw the beard.  I hit the ground and the sneak was on.  I got within about 70 yards and sure enough still strutting, full fan, and thin 8" beard.
I started calling and here it comes thru a small briar thicket.  First shot I got i rolled it up.
Went over and it was a HEN!!!  8 inch beard, 12 pounds at best, and little pink slick legs
I was mortified!!!  It never gobbled, but she was Strutting just like a gobbler!!!
Anyone else ever seen a Strutting Hen?
Be the type of person your dog thinks you are.

Wingbone

I've seen it when hens attacked a hen decoy of mine. On the TurkeyHuntPublicLand site, there is a video where 2-3 hens attack a decoy and they are strutting.

About 7 years ago, I had a hen come in gobbling. It didnt sound like a Tom at all, but it was unmistakably a gobble. She was mad at my cutting i guess, and apparently was ready to rumble.
In Hoc Signo Vinces

runngun

Saw on on a Primos video it was a merriams. They called and she would strut!
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

TRKYHTR

I took this video back in 2009. Watch the hen strut from 53 seconds until 1:25.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JlsaYaT6IA

My son shot this video last year of me killing this monster gobbler. Watch the hen strutting next to the decoy with 2 Jakes from 3:03 to 4:35. This hen is also a bearded hen. The other hen is standing in front of the decoy pecking it's head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhRh7D2Rk8M
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

Hookhunter

That's awesome guys, really nice video as well. I had no idea a hen would strut. I don't know that I would have believed it had I not seen it.
Yelp,yelp,yelp.. Gobble, BOOM!!!! Flop,flop,flop

busta biggun

I have watched a hen strut for almost an hour and taken pictures. Pretty amazing.

Duke0002

Last spring I had a lone hen come to my hen decoy.  Strutted  -tail fanned, wing tips on the ground.  Pecked and pecked the head of the decoy, spinning it around on the stake.  She finally gave up and walked off.

It was a nice show!

swamp_bird89

I've seen a hen strutting before, but don't think I could make the mistake of thinking it was a gobbler strutting.

RutnNStrutn

A couple of days ago I got to see a strutting hen for the 1st time!!! :you_rock:
I called in a SC Lowcountry hen. When she got about 10 feet from my deke, she started puffing up. Then when she got to 5 feet, she blew up into full strut!!!! Full fan, wings dragging the ground, everything but a gobble.  :o :you_rock:  Then she walked up to my deke and started bumping it with her chest!! :icon_thumright:  The deke spun around on it's stake, and she followed, bumping it as she went. When her fan blocked her vision of me, I grabbed my cell phone and turned it to video mode. I got some video, but I can't figure out how to download it to the computer yet. When I do, I'll post it up.
It was a very cool experience, and the first time I've seen it in my turkey hunting career!! :z-guntootsmiley:

Trevor2

Seen my first one 3-4 years ago. Came to the call strutting the whole way. Bout rolled her up but no beard so I had to watch.
Strutstopper

ChiefBubba

Just saw 2 hens doing half struts. Hung around for about a half hour and watched them. Very cool. Bubba

makestomstremble

I have learned that hens that are nesting are territorial. Some of them do not like other hens around "their area". Yes, I have seen them strut and display like a gobbler.

Greg Massey

If you hunt turkeys long enough you will see them do all kinds of things.. yes it's just part of what some hen's do and that's strut... I've had hens come up to my calling and just about spend all morning with me and just sit and rest..nature at it's best...

ChiefBubba

Gotta admit it was very cool and cool to hear them purring aggressively. Bubba

WV Flopper

Have seen a couple half strut. Did hear, then see, a hen gobble. She sounded like a jake. For what it's worth, none of these trannies had beards.