OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

2013 Texas hunt advice

Started by 55esox, March 26, 2012, 06:13:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

55esox

Guys,

I am thinking about putting together a trip for my Dad and I for next spring in the Lone Star State. I have been doing searches here and also going over the Texas Department of Natural Resources webpage for some general information, and it has been all been very helpful, but I thought I would turn to the experts here to help me out a little more.

First off, I have never set foot in Texas, so I am not sure what to expect from the different regions, here are a couple things I am trying to work around. 1. Ideally I would like to do this trip in late March, as our seasons up here dint kickoff until mid April. 2. My dad is 75, but able to handle his own. I wouldn't say he could take on any mountains, but he handles some decent hills in Missouri OK. 3. We would be looking at a semi guided type hunt as opposed to a guided version.

It looks like we need to stay in the south zone due to us wanting to hunt in March. Is this a good time to go or should we focus more on early April? Any recommendations as far as what areas to start looking at would be greatly appreciated. It looks like flying into San Antonio is our best bet, but not limited to that by any stretch. It seems that what I have been finding points me in the direction of Sonora, is ta ht a good area to look at?

Any tips or pointers would be greatly appreciated. We aren't looking for 5 star accommodations, just a place to go for a few days to get on some turkeys.

Thanks

jde

How many days and price range this State has lots of options

gotcha

If you don't like feeders,ticks,or stuff that bites and sticks you,don't go to Texas.If you like nice people and plenty of gobbling turkeys its a great state.Most outfitted hunts are around 1200.00 for a 3 day hunt,for that rate lodging and meals are usually supplied with a non-guided option sometimes being available.

gobblerhunter

I live in Texas and hunt both zones.  The south zone comes in around the 15-20 of March.  I hunted this last week and harvested two good toms.  They start gobbling in late Feb. or early March.  South zone from east to San Antonio is mainly flat.  I hunt about half way between San Antonio and the Mexican border.  I have a lease and hunt on about 1100 ac.  Normally a lot of turkeys and rattlesnakes.  There are some good places to hunt in this area but most of the land is privately owned.

I am headed north next week to hunt in the north zone.  Most of this area is rolling hills.  North zone can be more hilly but the hunting can be great.  Again, most of the land is privately owned and you will have to go through an outfitter.  I will be hunting about 1-2 hours north west of San Antonio.  This is the first time to hunt this area, let me see what I can find and I will contact you on my return.  I normally hunt a little farther north and west.

I have not hunted the western part of the state, or the north east part.  Some of the north east has easterns  and you don't want to hunt that area.

Let me see what is available in that area and I will be in touch.

gotchca posting is very accurate, great people and great food. I moved here from Mo. and the hunting is equal or better.

55esox

Thanks for the responses. Ticks and snakes aren't a problem, figured that would add to the overall experience anyway. We would be looking at a 3-4 day hunt in the price range of +/- $1000. Like I said, the hunting is more important to us than the accomodations.

Not to overstate the obvious, but with Texas being so big, and so many opporitunities, it helps to get a nudge in the right direction from those who know.

honker22

San Angelo area has a lot of birds. You won't be disappointed
People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.

Tail Feathers

You'll love those loud mouth Rios.  Go south, as you found for the early season.  Expect them to be going good in the last week of March.
You'll have fun, find a good outfitter and you are on.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

mdtkyhntr

jde

Check out Mesquite River Outfitters

Reloader

Senora is a good area. One of my buds hunts that area every year and kills a pile of good toms.

Just check with various outfitters and find out what their populations are and what their success rate is. Ask for several references.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk.