OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

dogwood burl question

Started by WaddleWhacker, March 26, 2012, 08:20:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WaddleWhacker

coming out of the woods yesterday i found a dogwood with a good size burl..probably 24" long and 20" wide...it's a mile from where i could get my 4 wheeler and the burl is on a wma and the dogwood tree is dead so i can get the burl sense the tree is dead....would a dogwood burl be any good for making call's from...just want to make sure it would be worth the trouble of carring it out....sense its not a real easy walk

woodwzrd

I'll tell you what. You go back and get the burl and when you get home shoot me a pm and then I will send you my shipping address. You can then ship the burl to me and I will crack it open and let you know if it was worth it or not.  :TooFunny:

In my opinion any burl is worth cutting into. I have seen a couple of calls made out of dog wood and they look pretty nice and I would imagine the burl would be nice as well. I personally would not pass up the opportunity to cut open any burl of decent size. Heck I took my boys (7and 9) out Saturday to look for turkey sign and ended up carrying what I believe is a cherry root ball almost a mile out of the woods. Should be some wild call wood from that.

I would go back and get it.  :icon_thumright:

misfire

I would grab that in a heartbeat!!!!!!! As a matter of fact, I would grab the WHOLE tree. I love dogwood
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net