only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Can you say "Call Shy"?

Started by K9Doc, March 25, 2012, 08:46:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkey_slayer

Quote from: THattaway on March 17, 2014, 04:21:58 PM
Quote from: turkey_slayer on March 16, 2014, 09:27:25 PM
Let me ask you this. I know I've done it as well as others on here. Call a bird up, shoot and miss then call him up an hour or so later and kill him. You would think a stick of dynamite going off where the "hen" was would teach him something. Or, how many birds have you killed that had been shot previously? If getting injured after coming to a "hen" doesn't make you think twice then what would?
Sorry to reply so late but this is the first chance I've had to return.

I think it has to do with the circumstances of the event. If you shoot and miss the bird, even hit it, and jump up and run out at him I think there is a good chance that bird may be looking hard for a camo blob pretty hard from then on. I've killed a number of birds that have been previously shot, most were pretty darn wary as well.

My Dad raised bird dogs. They are probably much smarter than turkeys but when you dicipline a dog ten minutes after he did something wrong he simply cannot connect the previous behavior with it. You have to discipline him right then when he does something you don't want him to do to get any success. I see folks all the time attributing reasoning ability to turkeys, I do not so don't misunderstand any of my comments. Most bumped toms settle down quickly but faced with circumstances they've experienced before with immediate negative re-enforcement, usually multiple times, then they usually are gonna react in a certain way. Beyond that, the simple urge to breed will overcome them at times.

I'm not saying animals can not be conditioned. Lots of wild animals get accustomed to eating out of people's hands but it takes a long time for the animal to learn that there not going to get hurt walking up to them.  What I'm saying is I don't believe it's possible with the short amount of time we're in the woods. Throw in the breeding season which makes em even dumber and I really don't see it happening.

L.F. Cox

Best let the call shy crowd keep thinking it....and we'll just keep killing them.

THattaway

I'm not a green horn and I believe in it. 160 have died for my calling so far if numbers mean anything to you. Am sure there are other's here who have killed many more but I figure I deserve the right to say I've formed an experienced opinion.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

alloutdoors

Quote from: THattaway on March 17, 2014, 06:51:38 PM
I'm not a green horn and I believe in it. 160 have died for my calling so far if numbers mean anything to you. Am sure there are other's here who have killed many more but I figure I deserve the right to say I've formed an experienced opinion.

For centuries, sailors that had spent essentially their entire lives at sea were convinced that if they sailed too far they would fall of the edge of the world. Just sayin.

slamman

Quote from: L.F. Cox on March 17, 2014, 06:49:24 PM
Best let the call shy crowd keep thinking it....and we'll just keep killing them.

I was hoping this would die along time ago don't want to educate too may turkey hunters I love running into hunters that claim the birds are call shy and other made up maladies, I agree with them encouraging them to leave the woods and let me have them all to myself in this case the less the merrier.   ;D

THattaway

Quote from: alloutdoors on March 17, 2014, 07:00:43 PM
For centuries, sailors that had spent essentially their entire lives at sea were convinced that if they sailed too far they would fall of the edge of the world. Just sayin.
To imply someone who believes a turkey can become call shy is just an unsuccessful hunter is much the same thinking. Just saying. I don't mind disagreeing.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

turkey_slayer

Quote from: slamman on March 17, 2014, 07:04:58 PM
Quote from: L.F. Cox on March 17, 2014, 06:49:24 PM

I was hoping this would die along time ago don't want to educate too may turkey hunters I love running into hunters that claim the birds are call shy and other made up maladies, I agree with them encouraging them to leave the woods and let me have them all to myself in this case the less the merrier.   ;D

Ok ok I will keep my mouth shut :-X. In all seriousness, thattaway thanks for having a friendly discussion. I would hunt with ya any day

alloutdoors

Quote from: THattaway on March 17, 2014, 07:07:46 PM
Quote from: alloutdoors on March 17, 2014, 07:00:43 PM
To imply someone who believes a turkey can become call shy is just an unsuccessful hunter is much the same thinking. Just saying. I don't mind disagreeing.

Not sure the analogy works both ways, but I didn't make that suggestion in any event. Anyway I was just having a little fun with you, no hard feelings meant.  :icon_thumright:

stalker

Quote from: redleg06 on March 25, 2012, 09:06:52 PM
It sounds like he might have been spooked before you ever made a call by how you are saying he didnt want to hang around. 

Hard to tell, but I'd wonder if he hadnt seen something he didnt like from the tree or right after flydown before you made the call.

x2

bmhern

Y'all can have all those call shy, scared to death birds. I'm just out there hunting "old stupid"!!!!!