OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Can you say "Call Shy"?

Started by K9Doc, March 25, 2012, 08:46:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slave601

not gonna brag on my calling but ive had lots of people tell me im the best theyve heard. all i hunt is public land in south mississippi. ive been on birds in a lot of diff situations an jus barely purr an cluck or soft yelps with my mouth to only see them haul butt away from me. birds in kansas missouri tenn an kentucky public land have nothing on the ones down here. most of the birds i kill on public land only drum when they hit the ground. it can be very tough.
"thinnin the flock"

K9Doc

:z-guntootsmiley:  hey NYBasser.  I'm not making excuses.  Making a point.  Everyone fails, misses, poor decisions ect... I have had plenty of mishaps and it cost me birds over the years.  These birds are tougher and if u don't believe me, come try em out year after year where I am hunting.  They just don't respond the same in heavily pressured areas.  It's called survival instinct.

I should have, could have, would have.  LOL. His pea brain beat me that day!  He beat me.  No excuses.  Just forum turkey talk.  Thank for the replies.  This turkey will mean a lot if I do get him.

P.S.  No offense to u western hunters.  I will say they are tough to call in the open when they have hens 24/7.  Terrain is just easier to get to a good position.
:fud: :OGani:
Be the type of person your dog thinks you are.

ridgerunner

Harold Knight says the toughest birds he ever hunted was in LBL...I've hunted public land in many states...I have to agree with Harold.

DirtNap647

you would be surprised what they can see to let them not feel safe and want to get out of dodge

ridgerunner

Quote from: slave601 on March 27, 2012, 10:38:15 PM
not gonna brag on my calling but ive had lots of people tell me im the best theyve heard. all i hunt is public land in south mississippi. ive been on birds in a lot of diff situations an jus barely purr an cluck or soft yelps with my mouth to only see them haul butt away from me. birds in kansas missouri tenn an kentucky public land have nothing on the ones down here. most of the birds i kill on public land only drum when they hit the ground. it can be very tough.

The worst calling I ever heard came from a wild turkey hen. Good calling doesn't kill birds. Many guys ego like to convince them their expert calling kills birds..setup, scouting and woodsmanship kills 10 times more birds than calling. In fact, I've killed many birds with a simple cluck, or one series of yelps by placing myself in the right place and doing my homework...an old boss hen wouldn't win any Grand National calling Competitions...Guaranteed...what's that tell ya?

slamman

Quote from: HARDCORE on March 26, 2012, 09:41:49 PM
"call shy" does this mean a gobbler would turn and run from a real hen if he couldn't see her, even without looking first.

HC

:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

jakesdad

If turkeys are "call shy" then how in the world would they ever communicate with each other,let alone reproduce.Call shy is more than likely people shy.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

VA_Birdhunter

Quote from: turkey_slayer on March 27, 2012, 09:23:33 AM
Turkeys don't run from turkey sounds or they would starve to death from running so much  :toothy12:. There has to be more to it

:agreed:  there was something else I believe...something already had him spooked.

God Bless
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

GobbleNut

Aaahhhh,...Here we go again.  How long will it take until us turkey hunters reference hard scientific evidence rather than just declare something as fact or fiction?  Any organism can be conditioned by positive or negative reinforcement to do, or not do, just about anything .  Turkeys that have had enough negative reinforcement in the form of approaching turkey sounds and then being shot at will learn, over time, to avoid approaching turkey sounds, period.  You cannot change that scientific fact regardless of whether you are the best turkey caller or turkey hunter on the planet. 

That's not to say that every single turkey that runs from a call for no obvious reason is doing so because it has been conditioned to shy away from turkey sounds, but if I was to put my money on a reason for this particular bird behaving like it did under the conditions described, I would bet my patootie that this gobbler has had some unsavoury experiences with turkey callers before,....and I really don't want to lose my patootie!

guesswho

Quote from: GobbleNut on March 16, 2014, 02:42:16 PM
Aaahhhh,...Here we go again.  How long will it take until us turkey hunters reference hard scientific evidence rather than just declare something as fact or fiction?
You waiting on me Mr. Patootie?
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

GobbleNut

Quote from: guesswho on March 16, 2014, 02:52:24 PM
Quote from: GobbleNut on March 16, 2014, 02:42:16 PM
Aaahhhh,...Here we go again.  How long will it take until us turkey hunters reference hard scientific evidence rather than just declare something as fact or fiction?
You waiting on me Mr. Patootie?

What?!  You already killed your limit, or what?!  Didn't figure you would be jumping in on this quite so soon.  Why aren't you out hunting?   ...But now that you mention it, it did cross my mind that you might have some "input" on this one!   ;D :toothy12:

MouthCaller

The Gobbler I killed last year was shot at by me 3 times the last time I missed before I killed him and the time I killed him he was in no way shape or form call shy but he did cluck when he saw my same two decoys he had seen from the previous hunts. the hunt I killed him on after he busted me and clucked at my decoys I decided to ditch them and called him in without them after circling around him. It's possible they might be call shy without seeing anything but they for sure can become decoy shy it happened to me!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

THattaway

Dunno about other states but in SC on public land if you call at a tom in plain sight you are most always making a mistake. It's not uncommon to be picked off. I think a turkey can be conditioned pretty darn quick to detect danger from a camo blob especially when it entails getting sprayed.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

turkey_slayer

Call shy is an excuse like every other excuse Turkey hunters have came up with. I believe every Turkey is 100% killable. If I don't kill him I didn't do something right. Your mileage may vary

ericjames

Quote from: turkey_slayer on March 16, 2014, 04:11:18 PM
Call shy is an excuse like every other excuse Turkey hunters have came up with. I believe every Turkey is 100% killable. If I don't kill him I didn't do something right. Your mileage may vary

I agree with you on that..