turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Logging impact

Started by mdtkyhntr, March 25, 2012, 09:42:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mdtkyhntr

I was curious to see what your experience has been with turkeys returning to an area that has recently been logged. One of my spots was select cut finishing last week. My season doesn't start for a couple weeks, but obviously the birds I usually hear early were no where to be seen. They finished last week and got the equipment out, and I scouted this weekend hearing 5 or so about 400 yds from where they logged. I then saw a few walking out of the clearcut. Have you guys ever seen them return within a few weeks of logging ending?

sippy cup

absolutely they love getting bugs after equipment stirs up the ground and rite after areas are burned to killed some one year and stumps still smoldering and hot spots
beware of longdale legend

Spring_Woods

Did they seed the log roads? If so, how early can you be there? :)
"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

mdtkyhntr

They didn't seed. i'll probably seed clover once season is over. It's actually one of the messiest jobs I've ever seen, debris everywhere, huge ruts etc. Hopefully the tops will offer some good nesting cover.

nalley1952

It took them a year to move back onto our property.  But they loved it once it had a summer full of growing

stone road turkey calls

you will be covered up with turkeys
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

BamaProud

My experience with logging(south Alabama) was very bad.  However in my case the land was clear cut.  Our land was loaded with turkeys, after they took all the trees nothing. I don't think we even heard a gobble on the property(about 700 acres) for 5 years.  About 10 years later there is finally a huntable population once again.
Save the Little ones for the Little Ones.

Tail Feathers

They did you a favor thinning the woods.  Go get 'em!
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

sippy cup

if you contact your local forrest service they will make the logging company come back straighten it up an seed and do water control to so make waves they will push issues private or public :OGturkeyhead:
beware of longdale legend