OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Rem 1187 Project Gun Shoots Low Consistently

Started by Turkey Trot, March 20, 2012, 04:05:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turkey Trot

I have a Rem 1187 SPS (not a specialized short bbl turkey gun) that is a project gun.  It had a lousy finish, so I painted it as a turkey gun.  That took care of the finish problem.  I shot it at ducks and pheasants years ago, and could tell it that the point of impact was off.  I shot it on an impact plate at the skeet range years ago and it shot consistently low.  I put it in the closet and did not mess with it for a while until painting it and shooting it last year.  I've had others shoot the gun with the same result, just to make certain it wasn't the nut on the stock.

I put a graduated spacer on it (standard buttstock) and did not get the improvement in raising POI I need.  It shoots bout 12 inches low at 40 yards, it seems a little less at 30.  Turkey loads seem to be hitting lower than regular birdshot or pheasant loads.  

I got my hands on a Speedfeed stock with a grip and mounted it and shot it this past weekend.  The SF stock has a different pitch, and the POI seems to be a little better, but it is still way low and I would have to use the Kentucky Windage method to compensate and to kill a turkey.

Anyone had a low shooter 1187 before?  What did you do to move POI up?

I'm curious as to whether I should try another stock, like a Shur Shot, get a smith to bend the drawbolt and add shims, or add a stock raiser like a Slimside.  Do they make shims for a Rem 1187?  I can't find them, and I've read on some other forums that they do not.  They don't appear to be made by Rem for shims like Benellis and others.
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

GeorgeJR

Couple suggestions.  If using for Turkey you could also add a saddle mount with a red eye scope, Rifle sites.  If wanting to use as is I would suggest going to a shooting range and having someone help adjust the fit of your gun.  Lower Comb or LOP adjustment might be all that is needed.

Turkey Trot

Notice that I had others shoot the gun, it's not just an LOP matter.  Note that I used a graduated spacer that added LOP and changed the pitch.  It shoots low (way, way low), so lower comb is not the usual remedy for that, a higher comb is, which is why I mentioned the Slimsides.

Do the magnetic, clip-on rifle sights have the effect of raising POI?  I have considered them, but did not mention them above.

One problem a man faces is buying a whole bunch of gizmos and sinking $100 or more in a bunch of stuff that does not work.
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

Rapscallion Vermilion

A higher comb would help, but for shooting a shotgun like a rifle it is not the best approach.  You will need to raise your eye about 1/8" to raise your point of impact about 6" at forty yards (depends on the barrel length).  A better approach would be to spend around $45 for the William's Firesight Universal or the Tru Glo Pro Series Magnum Gobble Dot.  Both give you quite a bit of range for raising the point of impact.  If you are only shooting low, you could probably build yourself a rear sight pretty cheaply with some sheet metal.  In trapshooting circles the practice of bending barrels to raise point of impact is not uncommon.

Quote from: Turkey Trot on March 20, 2012, 04:41:38 PM
Notice that I had others shoot the gun, it's not just an LOP matter.  Note that I used a graduated spacer that added LOP and changed the pitch.  It shoots low (way, way low), so lower comb is not the usual remedy for that, a higher comb is, which is why I mentioned the Slimsides.

Do the magnetic, clip-on rifle sights have the effect of raising POI?  I have considered them, but did not mention them above.

One problem a man faces is buying a whole bunch of gizmos and sinking $100 or more in a bunch of stuff that does not work.

remmy1187

If it is just gonna be your turkey gun you could go with an optic, scope or dot, which should adjust enough to compensate.

bluetick58

Shellwaster

Find a good smith that specializes in shotguns and have him straighten your barrel.  I've had 2 that were factory bent and needed a little persuasion to straighten out. If you're interested I can pm you the name of the guy I use. He is in northeast Georgia not far from the South Carolina line.

paladin

I would not hunt with it "as is".
I have just put a burris fastfire on my 1100 3".
At 209 for the sight, 40 for the 336 marlin base and 25 bucks times two to drill and tap the reciever you could have 300 in the setup but it will put you on target.
"have gun-will travel"

Turkey Trot

Quote from: Shellwaster on March 20, 2012, 08:02:13 PM
Find a good smith that specializes in shotguns and have him straighten your barrel.  I've had 2 that were factory bent and needed a little persuasion to straighten out. If you're interested I can pm you the name of the guy I use. He is in northeast Georgia not far from the South Carolina line.

That's not Curtis Wilbanks the GunDoc is it?

msgobblergetter

Do you have a mid-bead on your barrel from the factory?  If so, just make sure you are using it correctly.  The mid-bead should go directly under your end bead when you line up your shot.  In other words, form a figure eight with the two beads.

Shellwaster

Quote from: Turkey Trot on March 21, 2012, 11:54:55 AM
Quote from: Shellwaster on March 20, 2012, 08:02:13 PM

That's not Curtis Wilbanks the GunDoc is it?

That'd be him.

wmahunter

There are two ways to shoot a shotgun:  Pointing for wingshooting and Aiming for everything else including target patterning, and turkey hunting etc. 

If you are sighting down the barrel like a rifle (and I assume you are) then all the stock changes in the world will not fix it.

Stock adjustments are mainly to make the gun fit you for wingshooting (so you don't HAVE to aim) and NOT for shooting while aiming like a rifle.

Doesn't matter if there is even a stock on it at all if you are aiming it other than it would be uncomfortable to shoot that way.

You either need to have a smith adjust the poi or use a sight system to adjust the poa to the poi.