OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

why a 10 ga. ?

Started by robferg, March 19, 2012, 08:25:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

4nolz2

TN-Hunter

I own a 870 3/1/2 inch and a sp10 with nitro shells the sp10 will outpreform any12 ga i have ever seen. But it is very very heavy I only carry it when i hunt fields and don't travel very far.If i am going to travel the hills of Tennessee I grab the 870.

Old Gobbler

I am interpreting the vantage point and meaning of the question posed is... why go bigger with a 10 if a 12 is more the enough for most peoples needs - Most people in the know now understand that the modern day 12 gauge 3.5 has been souped up to almost match the specs on the sales floor to reach the 10 . Combined with the radical improvements in shotshell and chokes focused on the 12 , it is very plain to see why the 12 /3.5 is the bread winner in the turkey gun marketplace , overwhelmingly  popular because of its versatility and new found performance levels .

It would be safe to say these 12/ 3.5 users are in fact "closet 10 gauge users" the performance capabilities of a modern set up 12 /3.5 with matching components far surpasses what anyone was capable of doing with a 10 gauge a dozen years ago ,  

But if the focus of the question is why use a 10 ? or where lays the advantage , the only advantage in using a 10 ga for years now {we are talking 10 HTL vs. 12 HTL} is if you choose to shoot Nitro's , or the possibility of the Magblends   - other than that , the added weight soaks of recoil and makes for a steady aim  - If we are talking {10 lead vs. 12 lead} the 10 in my opinion has a clear advantage -
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Rockhound

Quote from: Old Gobbler on March 29, 2012, 08:42:04 AM
I am interpreting the vantage point and meaning of the question posed is... why go bigger with a 10 if a 12 is more the enough for most peoples needs - Most people in the know now understand that the modern day 12 gauge 3.5 has been souped up to almost match the specs on the sales floor to reach the 10 . Combined with the radical improvements in shotshell and chokes focused on the 12 , it is very plain to see why the 12 /3.5 is the bread winner in the turkey gun marketplace , overwhelmingly  popular because of its versatility and new found performance levels .

It would be safe to say these 12/ 3.5 users are in fact "closet 10 gauge users" the performance capabilities of a modern set up 12 /3.5 with matching components far surpasses what anyone was capable of doing with a 10 gauge a dozen years ago ,  

But if the focus of the question is why use a 10 ? or where lays the advantage , the only advantage in using a 10 ga for years now {we are talking 10 HTL vs. 12 HTL} is if you choose to shoot Nitro's , or the possibility of the Magblends   - other than that , the added weight soaks of recoil and makes for a steady aim  - If we are talking {10 lead vs. 12 lead} the 10 in my opinion has a clear advantage -

why does lead have the advantage in a ten?

4nolz2

and 10 gauge nitro users are closet 8 gauge shooters.

paladin

I blame me owning a BPS 10 on gobbler 74 due to his posting a link to a like new gun for 400 bucks.
"have gun-will travel"

Rockhound

Quote from: slickyboyboo on March 29, 2012, 05:04:14 PM
Quote from: Rockhound on March 29, 2012, 01:38:41 PM
Quote from: Old Gobbler on March 29, 2012, 08:42:04 AM

why does lead have the advantage in a ten?

You can pack more lead in a 10 ga at safe pressures, and with a larger bore, you get less deformation of shot, and therefore a better pattern.
makes since i just never thought about it, so a bigger lead payload would hold a better pattern that that same payload in a 12?

robferg

I wanted to know the advantages of 10 ga. I always wanted a 10 ga. and will be getting a new turkey gun soon. The only concern is the weight of the gun itself.

Old Gobbler

Quote from: robferg on March 30, 2012, 08:31:29 AM
I wanted to know the advantages of 10 ga. I always wanted a 10 ga. and will be getting a new turkey gun soon. The only concern is the weight of the gun itself.
I suggest you go to a gun store and shoulder a BPS, SP10 ,NEF or the like contemplate the performance , and the cost structure of attaining that - and then figure if it is right for you

You can set up a new 870 gun , choke and ammo for less than 600

If you want set up a 10 ga with nitros , you are talking quite a bit more money

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

LBSS

Id hold out. Im sure browning will come out with a bps8  :z-guntootsmiley:

deadbuck

I am waiting on Browning to come out with the 10 gauge Citori.  Wish they would hurry up.

LBSS

Dead buck id but one in a heart beat if it had 32"barrels . There hasn't been a new 10ga made though in probably 20yrs+ id Like to see a new 10ga made before I die . Ps id love a win m12 10ga . It would be so maneuverable

tha bugman

My SP-10 is one of the few guns in my collection that I will not sell.  I got it at a good price....performs well and owning it takes me back before things got really complicated...LOL!  I really don't notice the weight of the gun because I travel light anyways....it all comes down to a matter of preference...dead is dead and you can not kill one with a 10 just as easy as you can with a 12 :z-dizzy:

Greymule

If I could buy an 8 gauge and it was legal to hunt with I probably would. :turkey2:

4nolz2

can I get an AMEN!  :jesus-cross: someone should make an 8...... :OGturkeyhead: