turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

why a 10 ga. ?

Started by robferg, March 19, 2012, 08:25:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

robferg

I've been wanting to buy a shotgun just for turkey hunting, and was wondering about a 10 ga. What are the advanteges of a 10 ga. ? The recoil of a 10 3.5" shell compared to a 12 ga. 3" and 3.5" shell? Also the patters? Thanks.

deadbuck

Back in the day before Hevi shot was developed a 10 gauge was desirable because you could get 2.25 to 3 ounces of shot in a shell which would give you a much better pattern than a 12 gauge 3". However, since the 12 ga 3 1/2 inch chamber came along as well as Hevi shot, the 10 no longer blows every thing else away but is still devastating on turkeys and geese. Most 10 gauge guns are heavy, but it reduces the recoil to way less than a 12 ga 3 1/2 inch gun.

paladin

I would not suggest a 10 gauge as your primary or only turkey gun. It is so heavy.
I would suggest a pump 12 gauge 3.5".
Two good choices are remington and mossberg but browning is good too.
Really depends on your budget.
Recoil is based on load, velocity and gun weight. although gauge and powder make small differences.
lighter load less recoil
lower velocity less recoil
heavier gun less recoil
bigger gauge less recoil
less powder less recoil
these last two are the smallest.
The 10 can be handloaded to surpass the 12 3.5" but only marginally.
Most factory 10 shells are not as good as better 12 3.5" due to more demand for the 12s
"have gun-will travel"

Rockhound

Quote from: paladin on March 19, 2012, 05:08:30 PM
I would not suggest a 10 gauge as your primary or only turkey gun. It is so heavy.
I would suggest a pump 12 gauge 3.5".
Two good choices are remington and mossberg but browning is good too.
Really depends on your budget.
Recoil is based on load, velocity and gun weight. although gauge and powder make small differences.
lighter load less recoil
lower velocity less recoil
heavier gun less recoil
bigger gauge less recoil
less powder less recoil
these last two are the smallest.
The 10 can be handloaded to surpass the 12 3.5" but only marginally.
Most factory 10 shells are not as good as better 12 3.5" due to more demand for the 12s

HATER  :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

WildTigerTrout

I own a Browning BPS 24" Stalker 10 Ga. The 10 ga. makes a fine turkey specific shotgun. They are heavy but boy do they lay the smack down on those gobblers! I own two 3.5" 12 ga. shotguns also but I really LOVE my BIG TEN!
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Houndstooth Game Calls

Get you the 24in single shot 10 got a modes kick and is no heavier than my benelli plus it's a short 24 in gun cause you lose the action being a single shot way more maneuverable ! Plus it out shot my benelli and I like that big boom!!!!!!

runngun

I love my 10 gauge Browning Gold!!! Is it needed, no. But I love that big BOOM. I do not try to shoot a turkey passed 40. Besides I don't have an eight bore!!!
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

dirt road ninja

I killed a few birds with a BPS 10 years ago. When I was younger I figured  bigger is better. I thought I had given it to my brother to use on geese, but found it this past winter in the back of my gun room. I took it out dusted it off and ordered a camo kit for it with the intentions of hunting with it some year. It was heavier than I remembered, so I put it away after a good cleaning. Even though I no longer hunt with it there is a certain mystic about carrying a 10. It kicks less then my 3.5 12. Patterns well enough, but I've never played with multiple choke and shell combo's. I was going to shoot the Nitro's and I'm sure they would have been nasty. As far as killing turkeys go there are many more readily available options with a 12 gauge.
In my humble opinion the guys that pack 10 gauges in the spring have a different state of mind then most of us who don't. It's about spending time with a big bore propped up on your knee not just shooting a bird.

4nolz2

look at nitros website-pellet counts for 12s 230-280 pellet counts for 10s 320 and higher.

sometimes you need to kill them extra deader.....
:drool:

robferg

:thanks: for all the info. Might just have to buy a 10 ga. just to hear that " boom " .

I hate turkeys

Here's why I shoot a 10 this was shot at 40 yards it's just a small part of the whole sheet.
That's sheet metal.
"There is no such thing as to much gun"
Elmier Keith

nflorek

I own both 10ga's and 3.5 12ga's and anyone that tells you a 12ga will out pattern a 10 is cause they don't own one. Is it needed? no. Is it heavy? yes. If you want top performance at a cost of weight this is the gun for you. If you want a light weight gun to kill a bird at a range one should not shoot father then look to the 12 3.5. 

paladin

Hey Rockhound I am not a 10 gauge hater...except for the weight. I own two, a bps and new england single. They out pattern my encore but they are so heavy!
"have gun-will travel"

Rockhound

Quote from: paladin on March 25, 2012, 10:45:15 PM
Hey Rockhound I am not a 10 gauge hater...except for the weight. I own two, a bps and new england single. They out pattern my encore but they are so heavy!

I was just jokin with ya anyway, I just bought mine this year and it is heavy its a bps 10, but i love it, only downfall to me is its not as compact as my 835 but i can manage.

The reasons i bought a 10 gauge are:
1. Ive always wanted one plain and simple
2. I have 3 family members and 2 buddys that shoot 10s and no matter what you shoot ammo is always cheaper in bulk.
3. I was in the markey for a new gun and i walked into a local sports store that is moving locations and they had it on sale marked about 300 bucks off so i walked out with it

4nolz2

and dont forget

4) they dont sell an 8 gauge

:funnyturkey: