turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mossy 535, Rem Duplex 4x6, IC choke

Started by mcgruff1533, March 18, 2012, 11:29:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcgruff1533

These patterns were fired at 30 yards with my Mossberg 535 Tactical Turkey.    The choke is a .660" Indian Creek BDS.    The first was shot through a clean barrel and choke, the second was through a dirty barrel and choke.

I did shoot at 40 yards with these shells, but it wasn't even worth counting.     The pellets were scattered all over the 4x4 sheet of paper and there was no defined core pattern.     These shells are solid to 30-35 yards max.

The final photo is one of the Rem Duplex wads that I recovered.    It's pretty beat up from the Indian Creek choke.     The petals are torn, and have many holes worn right through the plastic.    

Nick_The_Tinkerer

WOW that wad looks nasty all toen up....

Grunt-N-Gobble

You had the same experience my Dad had last year with his Mossy 835 and IC .675 choke.

It just plain sucked @ 40yds and the wads were all torn up.

Needless to say.....he'll be using Hevi 3-2-7's or my hand loads this year.

WickedBama

The ic choke is designed to tear the wad away before it reaches the target.
Live For It!

R AJ

The Rem duplex has always been a consistent performer for me in a 660-665 choke at your stated 30-35 yards. If your calling and setup is good then getting the bird inside 35 yards means a bad day for the turkey when using that shell.

Good for you to show what can be expected from lead loads at 30 steps or so, the older acceptable preferred range, for me anyway, using lead loads. Besides you get to experience seeing the most majestic bird in the woods just a little longer that way.

WickedBama

I'm sorry to disagree but I like that pattern at 40
No where in that 10" could a toms head be and not get 4-5
Hits. Good pattern minimum said is 100 in 10" your well over that.
Live For It!

BandedSpur

Quote from: WickedBama on February 19, 2013, 07:30:34 AM
I'm sorry to disagree but I like that pattern at 40
No where in that 10" could a toms head be and not get 4-5
Hits. Good pattern minimum said is 100 in 10" your well over that.

What 40 yd pattern? The pix are from 30 yds, and the OP stated that at 40 it wasn't worth counting, it was so bad. Lead patterns deteriorate had an alarming rate as distance increases, some shells more than others of course.

WickedBama

Sorry thought it was @ 40. My apologizes.
Live For It!