turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mouth Call - Cackles vs Cuts

Started by mmusso, February 23, 2011, 05:19:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmusso

Last year I posted regarding my cutting speed not being as fast as I wanted and got several people posting their ideas or what has helped them cut faster. I've been practicing this a ton, especially here lately with season being around the corner, and I'm still not happy with what I'm getting. While my speed has gotten a little better, I think I'm now getting more of a cackling sound than cutting. I'm looking for machine-gun, popcorn-esque cutting (go ahead and insert a joke here, but that's the only way I know to describe it), and everytime I cut for over 3 or 4 notes back to back quickly, I get more of a cackle. I'm also getting this when I go from excited yelps into cuts. I listen to hen recordings constantly, as well as other callers on cd and dvd, so I know exactly what I'm looking for, but I guess I'm not cutting each note off sharp enough before starting the next one, slurring the two together maybe?? How are y'all that can do this doing so? Is this something that will come in time or is there anything i can do to get better? Hell, does anyone know what I'm talking about? I'm getting frustrated... :help:
Thanks in advance!

savduck

I hear real hens doing the machine gun cutts and can do them myself, but I hear a lot of real hens just popping of three to four note cutts more than anything else. When Im working a gobbler that is coming, but not fast enough for my liking, I hit them with a bunch of those types of cuts.
Georgia Boy

turkey_slayer

The good thing about a cutt is it has no rhythm or speed for that matter. Some hens cutts are sharp and high pitched while others are even dull and sound muffled.  Fly up/down cackles are short, sharp, and high pitched.  If your running them together my guess would be you aint dropping your jaw on the second one enough to break the note. This is just my opinion

Executioner

Cut off the notes with your lips and use the words peck, pack and puck. Practice air control WITHOUT a call in. That's the way to learn to control a call better is to practice without your calls in. Perfect practice will help you to perfect that cutting you're looking for. God bless.
"Confidence in your God given abilities adds more turkeys to your daily limit" Mike Miller "The Turkey Killer" Take delight in the LORD, and He will give you your hearts desires. Psalm 37:4

jyoung

I too would not mind getting just a tad faster with my cutting for competition purposes.  The guys this past week at Nationals were unbelievable. The ONLY thing faster is a real hen!  Cutting while I am hunting I'm not so worried about.  Someone once showed me an exercise to learn to cut faster and I use it all the time.  Start out and cut (1) note, then (1-2) notes, then (1-2-3) notes, then (1-2-3-4) notes... all the way to 10 notes in a row.  If you have to start slow, then start slow. Just make sure each and every note is on its own.  The more you practice, the faster you'll get.  As far as mechanics, I use more of my tongue and quick burst of air then I do my lips. Just my .02...
Jonathan Young