turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Who makes the best slate call?

Started by glennz, March 15, 2012, 03:45:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glennz

After all the great advice on my copper thread I decided to seek the advice of forum members again to see what slate call you recommend? So in your opinion what is or who males the best slate call? Thanks

scoot12

In my opinion,  there is no best slate call,  find one you like the sound of and more importantly you can run really good.  With that being said,  WillowRidgeCalls,  MarkJM and Lonnie Sneed make awesome slates at reasonable prices.  I have a Darrin Dawkins slate in a plastic pot that sounds unbelievable if you want one in that type of pot.  There are so many great callmakers out there I probably forgot quite a few.  Oh also Glen Marrers zebrawood slate is great too.  Scoot

blacky

I am not about to say my slate call, is better than anyone else's but I do believe my cherry slate over slate sounds as good as anyone else's. Matched with a cherry striker it has the sweet mellow tones of a hen turkey. The clucks and purrs are awesome.
A  full line of calls.
www.genesturkeycalls.com

a-j calls

culpeper

The guys are right...there is no BEST slate call, though the judges at the NWTF might think otherwise....it all comes down to the callers/hunters ear, and the same goes for just about any turkey call of any type.

Though he didn't toot his own horn, I can tell you Andy at AJ calls make one heck of a slate.  It was responsible for the demise of a nice stubborn gobbler and a 1.5 hr showdown 2 days before the season ended last year.  It'll be in my vest again this spring, along with another

WillowRidgeCalls

WalMart the cheapest is always the best!!  :TooFunny:

Now if your looking for a certain type of sound, style, or ease of play, cost,  then we can point you in the right direction, but we need to know what you have in mind?
Wisconsin Turkey and Turkey Hunting Pro-Staff
Scott

Heller

The best slate call is the one that you play the easiest and best. What I can run well, you might not. I seem to be able to run lights out pot calls very well and easy, so until I try one that "I" can run better that's what I use. I havnt tried them all so I have more to buy

ky turkey hunter

Tom Dooley

I really like my Lonnie Sneed Hot Hen Slate. I will find out in a couple weeks what the turkeys think about it.