turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Back from Florida

Started by Stoney Creek, March 15, 2012, 11:51:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stoney Creek

Got back from Florida last friday and just getting time to post about the trip. This was my 3rd trip as we have gone the last 3 years and i love going. Nothing like getting a jump by a month on the Tn and Va seasons. I took 2 newbies to Florida, not new to turkeys but new to Florida. We had a blast and both got their first Osceolas!!!! The weather was warm but windy.. the birds worked well although they had to work for em, hens were a issue and multiple moves were made along with decoys to make it happen. Bob's bird had a 7 1/2 inch beard with 1 3/8 spurs, Davids bird had a 8 inch beard and around inch spurs, they were both pumped and i got my best bird down there. Even tho i had gotten a bird every year and mounted the one from last year this bird was a slob. The weight was 18 lbs and 9 oz with a 10 9/16 beard and 1 1/2 and 1 /9/16 spurs, gotta do another mount, hadn't planned on that but he was beautiful and only lost 3 small neck feathers. We have made some great friends down there and really enjoy going. My one comment is dont put off going on trips.. take friends if possible. There are only so many springs in a lifetime. I have made every excuse in the past, no vacation, money etc. As i have gotten older i have figured part of it out i think. Family and friends first. Talked to several older hunters and when the health goes just what would we each give to go and hear one more gobbler and work him close to get that feeling again!!!! Long post for me but just wanted to encourage everyone to get out and travel if possible and to enjoy every day out there with em...... Thanks Don

Woodsman4God

Pics man post some pics oh and btw Big congrats, sounds like an awesome hunt

hookedspur

Cograts ! You are so right about the Springs of life.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

JVA54

bbcoach

Don,
Thanks for the post.  I haven't heard much from the guys that have hunted Florida this year.  HEADIN down tomorrow for a few days.  My second year in a row.  Takin a newbie to Florida hunting but as you said not to Turkey hunting.  The gentlemen is a good friend and huntin buddy.  He's 68 years young and LOVES the outdoors.  He's taught me so much about guns and hunting, I don't know where to begin.  Even with declining eyesight, he can shoot a rifle like no one I've ever seen.  I killed my first Osceola last year and this trip is for him to take his.  As you stated, hunting is about sharing time with family and friends, harvesting takes a back seat to LIFE Experiences.  Congratulations on a GREAT Trip Don!  To everyone else, Good Luck and enjoy God's BLESSINGS!

timbrhuntr

Congrats Florida is a fun hunt hope to do it again.

pseshooter300

Congrats where at in Tn are you?
Tater
Thunder Chicken Mafia
This Ain't Hollywood

Hognutz

May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

joshb311

Sounds like a great trip and that you made some outstanding memories. Congrats on your harvest!

marshboy

Stoney Creek,
Great post. 
My father is dying of colon cancer now, and the end is not far away.  He has told me the same thing...don't live with regrets.  Go and do what you can while you can.  Enjoy your family, and take nothing for granted. 
Congrats on your Florida trip.
Greg

M,Yingling

Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

slamman

my favorite birds to hunt congrats.  pics please

GSLAM95

Don it sounds like you and your 2 buddies had a great trip.  I miss hunting Florida as the good ol boy I once hunted on down their passed away yrs ago.  I have been down there only once since and miss the area very much.  I agree with you as folks should get out go while they have the chance..
Take care and have a safe successful remainder of the season..

Apologizing:  does not always mean you are wrong and the other person is right. 
It just means that you value your relationship more than your ego.

CT Spur Collector

Good job, sounds like you guys had some great fun. I'm going on my first Florida trip next week. I hope to finish my first (lifetime) grand slam. I have two other guys going also. It's the first Florida trip for all of us. It's nice to hear a good story like that, it gives me a lot of encouragement.

Thanks for sharing.

Roostem33

Glad you had a successful trip, Congrats to you all!!!
The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.(John 10:10)