OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Two questions....

Started by Gobblestik, March 15, 2012, 10:08:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobblestik

First one is, My pattern is a little to tight for my liking, will changing shot size help open it up or do I need to go to a different constriction of choke? I'm shooting an IC with hevi 7's now out of a Benelli M1. I shot a jellyhead earlier in the year but didn't like that pattern at all, may go back to it though just to see.

Next one is, I have a POA/POI problem. Is there any other way to fix it w/o putting sights on it? I don't want to use a red-dot or rifle sights. That was one thing that I liked about using this gun.

Any help would be appreciated.

goblr77

1. You need to shoot a more open choke to open up your pattern if you're already shooting 7's...unless you go to lead 6's.

2. If you aren't off much try several different chokes to see if you can find one to shoot to POA. In my experience longer chokes usually make it worse. If you are off a good bit you're pretty much stuck with having to run sights or bend the barrel.

zeke632

I dont have an answer to your question but I'm glad to see that someone other than me doesnt want a super tight pattern...I think its cool that guys are able to shoot the patterns that are posted here. 

Just for the fun of it I have messed around a bit with trying to get my guns to do what they do. None of mine will. I've followed the instructions and polished barrels, tried several chokes and shell  brands/shot sizes.  Mine wont do what others do here in a 10" circle at a measured 40yds.  But I have found very few combos that I wouldnt go hunting with. 
I've noticed that sometimes a turkey will show up in a place that you really didnt think he could get to without killing him before he got there. So when those up close shots present themselves, for me, I would rather not be shooting something that is SUPER tight.

Also I would rather just look down the barrel at a shotgun bead. I dont know why, but I just like it better.   But I have a SX2 and a BPS that I put sights on so . They work great....still rather look at a bead tho.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Gobblestik on March 15, 2012, 10:08:34 AM
First one is, My pattern is a little to tight for my liking, will changing shot size help open it up or do I need to go to a different constriction of choke? I'm shooting an IC with hevi 7's now out of a Benelli M1. I shot a jellyhead earlier in the year but didn't like that pattern at all, may go back to it though just to see.

Next one is, I have a POA/POI problem. Is there any other way to fix it w/o putting sights on it? I don't want to use a red-dot or rifle sights. That was one thing that I liked about using this gun.

Have you tried shooting your factory full flush choke through a "deep cleaned" barrel with those shells? It might give you what you need.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Gobblestik on March 15, 2012, 10:08:34 AM

If the full flush mounted choke tube does not work for you, many hunters get good even patterns from Pure Gold chokes with a .670 exit diameter. It's been a good one for many hunters over the years.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Gobblestik

Thanks yall for the comments. I don't want to destroy my 40 pattern but I would like to open it up a little. My main concern is the fact that I'm low and right at 40 by about 4 low and 5 or so right @ 40 yards. I just don't like looking at sites on a shotgun. I'd rather shoot the bead if possible.

I've went and bought some winchester 6's and Hevi 6's, also have a tight wad and jellyhead choke. I'm going to go shoot this afternoon if it stops raining.

Once again I appreciate the suggestions.

Clark: I don't have any chokes for this gun. I bought it off my high school football coach and all it had was a patternmaster for Ducks. I may try to buy a factory flush choke if I can't get what I'm looking for out of what I already have.

Gobblestik

Here is what I've come up with @ 40 yards now. I think I'll stick with this for now and do a little more testing throughout the season.

GeorgeJR

Nothing wrong with that pattern...  I see a dead bird in your future.  BTW...  Love the drawing!  8-)  and the correct POA spot.  Friend of mine was telling me about his hunting problems and he aims for the head and tends to flinch so he hits anything flying over the birds head.  Pattern, Pattern, Pattern...  Once your confident you have the skills needed to drop the bird as the right one walks into your zone.