OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

polished barrels, getting slivers of plastic wadding now..

Started by MERCing, March 11, 2012, 11:51:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MERCing

I went thru the process of polishing the barrels on both a Rem 1100 and a Rem 870 youth using the scotch brite pads, JB cleaner and JB polish and a drill. Cleaned the barrels, then swabbed with alcohol, followed by a couple more dry patches.
They are mirror shiney and slick.
I've been running dry patches thru the barrels between shots. 
Oddly. now I get long slivers of plastic wadding, especially after the first and second shot.

Is that common ?

redarrow

What type of choke are you using ? Some chokes have wad catchers.

SumToy

Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

MERCing

I've tried a variety of chokes but the thin slivers are coming out of the bbl.
I can look thru it before I swab with a dry patch and see the build up. They come out easily with the dry patch but just hard to imagine anything sticking to it as slick as it is.

I'm going to try the final polishing step again and see if that helps prevent it.

Trevor2

Quote from: MERCing on March 11, 2012, 01:45:08 PM
I've tried a variety of chokes but the thin slivers are coming out of the bbl.
I can look thru it before I swab with a dry patch and see the build up. They come out easily with the dry patch but just hard to imagine anything sticking to it as slick as it is.

I'm going to try the final polishing step again and see if that helps prevent it.
Mine is doing it too. Hadnt thought anything of it till you asked. Now Im curious.
Strutstopper

MERCing

The same thing is happening with both a Rem 1100 and a 870 that have been polished. I never noticed it before the polishing.

Obviously, there is friction between the surfaces even though they appear to be mirror smooth.

I know that at times a smooth surface isn't the least restrictive. A smooth ball has more resistance than one with a dimpled surface, a h/p boat hull is faster on rippled water than on glass smooth water.

Now, I wish I had run a few loads thru the chronograph, before and after to see if it had any impact on the velocity.

fountain2

yup...this is freaking weird!  it was my gun that william is talking bout.  cleaned/polished mine with wd 40 and steel wool and a drill.  cleaned it all up with alcohol and went shot.  it sucked.  not sure if it was that or what, but we thought i ruined it.  we shot it a good bit and never got a decent pattern with the tss.  im gonna just clean them good with a brush from now on or just plain steel wool...no damn oil.  im done.  yea, yea, ive heard u preach bout it william...dont say a word...

lets just say that i would be careful with this stuff...ive now seen it first hand

msgobblergetter

The one common denominator here is that both of you are using alcohol to swab.  I always swab with bore cleaner or rem oil after polishing.  Never had this happen in 10 years of polishing my tguns.