OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Talk me out of a 28 Gauge

Started by michiganoutdoorsman, May 11, 2024, 12:01:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

michiganoutdoorsman

Lately I've had the itch to get another turkey gun. I already have a Franchi Affinity 20 gauge with a red dot that's lights out for turkey hunting. Then I have a Tristar Viper .410 that's getting drilled and tapped as I type this. My son has a .410 single shot with a red dot for when he's old enough, and now I'm wanting a 28 gauge because they throw phenomenal patterns. Why not buy just one more gun, right? I don't know if I should look into the Mossberg SA-28 or its brother the Tristar, or look for one without a pistol grip. Any help would he appreciated. Pros and cons of owning one or just avoiding it altogether and hunting with what I've got. Thanks guys!

Ihuntoldschool

I think you should definitely go for it. The 28 Gauge in the guns you referenced will give you a heavier gun to tote than the Affinity 3 you already have. In addition to that you'll get that Turkish made semi auto that's truly in a class by itself when it comes to quality and reliability.  You'll also get a smaller, less forgiving pattern up close and a less effective more marginal pattern on the longer shots ( compared to your 20). Another plus is that you'll find commercially made turkey loads less available and harder to find compared to your 20 or 410.  Also if you decide to load it as heavy as you do your 20 you'll get the added benefit of beating up your forcing cone and putting undo stress on the internals. 

michiganoutdoorsman

Quote from: Ihuntoldschool on May 11, 2024, 12:32:08 PMI think you should definitely go for it. The 28 Gauge in the guns you referenced will give you a heavier gun to tote than the Affinity 3 you already have. In addition to that you'll get that Turkish made semi auto that's truly in a class by itself when it comes to quality and reliability.  You'll also get a smaller, less forgiving pattern up close and a less effective more marginal pattern on the longer shots ( compared to your 20). Another plus is that you'll find commercially made turkey loads less available and harder to find compared to your 20 or 410.  Also if you decide to load it as heavy as you do your 20 you'll get the added benefit of beating up your forcing cone and putting undo stress on the internals.
You did quite well on the sarcasm  ;D That makes me not want to get a 28 at all lol.

Upfold99

If going tristar I would plan for red dot. I have a 20 and .410. Buddy had .410 and 28. All shot to low to hunt with bead. He sold both of his.  Both of mine have vortex vipers to correct the problem.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

I just bought one of the Mossberg SA 28 Tactical Turkey guns last summer and got it setup before this spring season and it's one awesome gun... With Indian Creek 525 and Apex Ninja 8.5 it's one bad sub gauge turkey gun and easy to maneuver and carry. SO my suggestion is to buy the 28 gauge of your choosing Mossberg / Tristar

Kyle_Ott

I understand the temptation but I've got too many 12's, 20s and 2 .410's now to want to dabble with the 28.

That and they aren't that light (compared to a Franchi or Benelli 20), they aren't that different ballistically (to the 20) and turkey ammo isn't readily available. 

I think they're a fad that slips in between the .410 and 20 without any significant need or benefit. 

Greg Massey

I've never had any problems finding 28 ga. I will say I have found it easier to find the 28 ga than the 410 shells ...