turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hevi-shot advantages?

Started by BP1992, March 09, 2012, 04:04:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BP1992

What are some advantages of Hevi-shot over lead shot?

honker22

Pattern much better.  You can use smaller shot (6s and 7s), while not sacrificing energy and knock down power.  Most HTL will kill at 40 yards easily, where lead is questionable some times.  It all depends on your pattern and if you are willing to spend the extra few bucks.

To me it's a no brainer.  Hevi 6s or 7s over any lead shells, every day of the week.
People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.

R AJ

They are heavier than lead, have more  retained energy, hold a tighter pattern and over a greater distance. They take more weight out of your pocketbook so it's easier to get up after setting up and deciding to move. ??? ::)

Curtdawg88

Quote from: RAJ on March 09, 2012, 04:48:58 PM
They are heavier than lead, have more  retained energy, hold a tighter pattern and over a greater distance. They take more weight out of your pocketbook so it's easier to get up after setting up and deciding to move. ??? ::)

:TooFunny:   So true!
"Life is tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid."

surehuntsalot

used lead for 30 year,killed a bird or 2 with them
as long as you don't try to shoot the birds at rifle range,lead will work
I have a same stash of HTL,but when it's gone it's gone,been doing so studying on this very subject
I won't shoot at a bird unless he is 45yds or closer,so why in the #@#$%$%$ am I paying 4.00 to 6.00 a shell to shoot at a bird that lead will kill just as dead
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

runngun

Dead is dead but Hevi kills them like 13 times deader !!!
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

WildSpur

In addition to the above, my main experience is less flopping after the shot. 

Cluck more, yelp less

mike103

They shoot farther than lead.

But I can't tell you how far.

It's against the board code of conduct. 8)

HuntSource

Quote from: RAJ on March 09, 2012, 04:48:58 PM
They take more weight out of your pocketbook so it's easier to get up after setting up and deciding to move. ??? ::)

Now, dat's funny, right there.

HuntSource

Quote from: mike103 on March 11, 2012, 10:34:55 PM
They shoot farther than lead.

But I can't tell you how far.

It's against the board code of conduct. 8)

A friend came over today to pattern his Benelli at my range. He had some inexpensive, Kent 3", 2oz, #6s as part of his collection to try. They yielded 115 in the 10" ring at 40yd. If that's the magic good guy vs bad guy distance, there's really no reason for Hevi-13 is there? If 40yd is all one's after, I haven't found a case yet where I couldn't get more than adequate pattern density with a little fudge factor to spare with lead given a good choke.

Given that, I wonder why the NWTF allows Hevi-13 in its contests if the organization perceives shots beyond 40yd to be unethical? I'm not trying to bash them either. I'm a member and even have my state's NWTF license plate. Maybe it's not something the leadership has fully considered.

Environmetal, Inc. clearly endorses the use of its Hevi-13 beyond 40yd in its marketing material. In fact, they have promotional graphics showing that their Hevi-13 #5 is good to 70+yd. Again, why is the NWTF allowing the shot to be used in its contests, if they don't want to endorse shots longer than 40yd? The mods here have said that someone expressing an ability to take long shots with 18 g/cc tungsten would be shunned by NWTF members at the national gig at Opryland. I agree that would be the case. I guess I wonder why Environmetal, Inc. and other HTL manufacturers get a pass.

Heck, the first lead 3", 2oz, #5 I tried through my Benelli Vinci and a Rhino .660" put an average of 104 for 5 shots in the 10" ring at 40yd. That's all you need to kill toms out to 40yd. Big numbers in the 10" ring at 40yd make us all feel good, but they don't do anyting except burn cash unless you intend to be able to kill well beyond 40yd.

joker

Quote from: runngun on March 09, 2012, 09:42:14 PM
Dead is dead but Hevi kills them like 13 times deader !!!
This is true, but H15 kills them 15 times deader and Tss will kill them 18 times beader !!!

VaTuRkStOmPeR

You can pull a shot at any range under a multitude of circumstances.  To say that picture justifies
"no long shots" is illogical.  Patterns become increasingly tight at close range and a miss or crippling shot is probably more likely at such because they haven't had a chance to exhibit any sizable diameter at those ranges.

I just don't clearly see your point.

paladin

Actually Joker H13 kills thems 30% more dead: H15 50% more dead and TSS 80% more dead. These calculations are based on #5 shot. :toothy12:
"have gun-will travel"

HuntSource

Quote from: JohnDoe on March 12, 2012, 09:08:28 AM
One advantage no one has mentioned is hardness. They are "much harder", so they penetrate and break bone better.

John

John, yes, this is certainly true. Even so, lead #6s will penetrate adequately inside of 40yd. Lead even has the extra fudge factor often discussed here as well. In short, the fundamental reason to use HTL shot out of a 12ga is to extend a rig's ability to produce effective patterns from 40yd to 50-55yd. The pink elephant in the corner is that Hevi-Shot has no meaningful advantages versus lead out of a 12ga out to 40yd. It's only beyond that range that its superior penetrating ability and superior patterning characteristics become relevant.

The 20ga is a different deal altogether. I have yet to find a 20ga lead load that will take me to 40yd with confidence. With the 20ga, Hevi-Shot #6s and #7s make a lot of sense. The 20ga needs the help of Hevi-Shot's superior penetration and patterning characteristics. I've found the 20ga runs about 10yd behind the 12ga. Essentially, I can get 20ga Hevi-Shot patterns at 40yd that look like 12ga lead patterns. If you want a lighter, easy to carry shotgun that doesn't kick a ton, then Hevi-Shot and the 20ga complement each other nicely.

joker

Quote from: HuntSource on March 12, 2012, 11:28:13 AM
Quote from: JohnDoe on March 12, 2012, 09:08:28 AM
One advantage no one has mentioned is hardness. They are "much harder", so they penetrate and break bone better.

John

John, yes, this is certainly true. Even so, lead #6s will penetrate adequately inside of 40yd. Lead even has the extra fudge factor often discussed here as well. In short, the fundamental reason to use HTL shot out of a 12ga is to extend a rig's ability to produce effective patterns from 40yd to 50-55yd. The pink elephant in the corner is that Hevi-Shot has no meaningful advantages versus lead out of a 12ga out to 40yd. It's only beyond that range that its superior penetrating ability and superior patterning characteristics become relevant.

The 20ga is a different deal altogether. I have yet to find a 20ga lead load that will take me to 40yd with confidence. With the 20ga, Hevi-Shot #6s and #7s make a lot of sense. The 20ga needs the help of Hevi-Shot's superior penetration and patterning characteristics. I've found the 20ga runs about 10yd behind the 12ga. Essentially, I can get 20ga Hevi-Shot patterns at 40yd that look like 12ga lead patterns. If you want a lighter, easy to carry shotgun that doesn't kick a ton, then Hevi-Shot and the 20ga complement each other nicely.

Don't look now, but there is a pink elephant in the other corner. What is the deference between extending the range of a 12ga from 40 to 50yds by using the benefits of htl and doing the same thing with a 20ga from 30 to 40yds? Your making smaller and tighter patterns with the available shot to shoot further. Am I missing something here?