OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Call makers, how many?

Started by ferocious calls, March 09, 2012, 11:02:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

triune

Well said Gary.  Doesn't matter to me how many you put out your shop door, its how they get there.

Now Dave mentioned laser engraving and this caught my attention because I laser engrave for a few fellow callmakers.  So, if a pot call that has been hand turned then has a laser engraved soundboard under crystal or glass it is no longer a custom call?

I hand draw all of my designs for my laser work, whether it be a turkey, dogwood blossom or a logo for a callmaker.  This is a talent that God has given to me for some reason and I want to share it with fellow callmakers.  I marvel at the artistic talent of several callmakers but I just don't have the time to sit down with each call.  The laser affords me the opportunity to add my artwork to a call in a more timely manner then paint it if the customer would like me to do so.  The customers name is also laser engraved on the paddle of all my box calls.

Laser work is one of those areas where there will be several opinions. 

ferocious calls

Laquered 150 calls and paddles today. I use lasering and love it. Can call my artist and have whatever scene needed drawn and used on calls. Makes personalization so simple and neat. Can custom personalize to a tee. Hunters love the lasering as do thier gifters. Company logos, fundraisers and more open the door for more to flow out the door.

Many call makers thumb thier noses at lasering and would never use it.
SHHH, it's more for us.  :funnyturkey:

smurf

Haave to add another 2 cents worth.  The call is made by the callmaker; the laser engraving is just eye candy and does not change the call from being custom.    It's like saying since God made the wood we aren't really custom.  But that's just my opinion. 
If you can't stand behind our troops.  Feel free to stand in front of them.

ferocious calls

Most will understand there is a difference between an original hand done artwork and it's value compared to a print.
In the art world an artist creates an original work that has much more collector value than the prints of the same work. The prints may still be valuable but only the original has the original value. The prints are just as nice to look at and more folk's can afford them. 

If a callmaker does his own artwork on calls they should command a higher price than a call that sports a print. Not to say it will call more birds or be seen as more valuable to anyone who does'nt know or even consider how the artwork was applied. Lasering to me means more calls and more hunters' and dead toms'.
I can't afford many original artworks but, own a pile of prints that please the eye just as well and, the artists' don't mind a bit.