North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Box Call Poll

Started by StruttinGobbler3, February 22, 2011, 10:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you feel that a long box is any more effective than a standard short box?

Yes, they are superior to short boxes at calling in turkeys.
12 (27.3%)
No, short boxes are more effective gobbler killers.
11 (25%)
There is no difference between the effectiveness of long and short boxes.
21 (47.7%)

Total Members Voted: 42

StruttinGobbler3

Considering adding a long box, or paddle call, to my turkey killing arsenal. Anyone here use them, and if so, do you feel they are more effective at calling up gobblers than standard short boxes? Leaning strongly towards an Albert Paul paddle call, probably walnut/butternut. Just curious as to everyones opinion.
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

TANK

This is my oppinion........the long boxes have a higher pitch than a "normal" length box call. To me the shorter calls have a more realistic sound. I can see where the longer calls have a advantage on windy days. I would say you have 3 lengths of box calls. Lets use a popular brand like Primos. The Lil Heart Breaker or Hot Box don't sound as good as a Heart Breaker or a Box Cutter..........My 2 cents

Skeeterbait

I have yet to hear one of the little mini boxes that sounded good to me.  The long box is more of a hassle to carry than I am willing to put up with. 

TANK

Quote from: Skeeterbait on February 22, 2011, 10:36:32 PM
I have yet to hear one of the little mini boxes that sounded good to me.  The long box is more of a hassle to carry than I am willing to put up with. 
:agreed: I totally agree with you on that!

jv

I myself like the standard size box ....dont care for the hassle of the long box.
Respect the land as well as the game you hunt.

StruttinGobbler3

I'm considering the long box due to the extra volume on those windy days, as well as the days when nothing is gobbling, maybe that unique pitch will be what drives em crazy on those days.
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

willy8457

I use Albert Pauls Paddle call in Poplar /walnut, have had very good luck with this call.  Called in five last year with it.  Just got mahogany/  Walnut from him Very nice sounding call. Can't wait to hunt with it , you can't go wrong with any of his calls

S.C.C

A properly tuned LongBox will out call any call known to man or turkey!!!! ;D

hookedspur

Quote from: jv on February 22, 2011, 11:03:03 PM
I myself like the standard size box ....dont care for the hassle of the long box.
:agreed:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

silverspur

A well crafted longbox can call load and soft, it depends on the caller and the callmaker.
Mini paddle calls such as the ones that Tim Bullock make are good for all occassions.
Longbeards / Sharp Spurs

trb136

I think it of course ultimately falls on the hunter and what they like to get the job done, The Pee Wee paddle I build is only 9 inches long with a long box sound. There are some guys on here that have them but like I said its ultimately how the hunter feels...IMO  gimme a paddle call evertime...just my 2 cents

Tim

HelsbysCustomCalls

Quote from: S.C.C on February 23, 2011, 07:43:39 AM
:agreed:

letinmfly

Captain of the former Gobble Kings

TnTurk

Quote from: S.C.C on February 23, 2011, 07:43:39 AM
I totally agree.   :agreed:

mudhen

If Albert ships it, it will sounds good  :)

Are you referring to the long paddle call from Albert?  Probably sounds great in the hands of someone that knows how to run a long box call, which is not my hands!

I have my 2nd Prestige on the way.  Don't know if it will be all waynut, or waynut & buttercup, I left it up to him.  I have found his short box calls to be very effective....

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka