OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

steel wool to polish barrel...?

Started by DirtNap647, March 07, 2012, 09:38:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DirtNap647

i seen some people on here suggesting steel wool on a wood dial rod to polish the barrel... good idea or bad  could someeone tell me the procedure to doing this like what size dial rod etc...?

mcgruff1533

I polished my Mossberg 535 using XXX Fine Steel Wool wrapped around a 20 gauge bronze brush.

I threaded the brush into a brass cleaning rod and chucked the rod in my cordless drill.  I kept the steel wool very wet with Kroil and changed the steel wool after every 50 passes.   

Make sure to keep the brush spinning at all times and don't stop the forward or back movement.   

I can't say if the Steel Wool method is any better or worse than the Scotch Brite pad/ Kroil method as illustrated by Clark Bush.    I can say the Steel Wool method worked very well, and my barrel is noticeably smoother and shinier than before the polish.     It simply came down to wanting to polish my barrel, but didn't want to take a trip into town for the Scotch Brite pads.

Use care and caution and you should be fine.... also, be sure to keep the steel wool well lubricated.

DirtNap647

i dont have any kroil anything else you can use...?

paladin

there is a sticky post on this. I like kroil. find some. It is worth it.
"have gun-will travel"

savduck

I polished mine with 0000 Steel wool this afternoon. Shiny as all get out. I used a little CLP. Ive been told you dont need the oil, but I used just a tad in mine. Got a mirror finish on it.
Georgia Boy

bird

870SM steel wool, brass brush, kroil and cordless drill results.

DirtNap647

very nice, kroil can it be picked up locally or you gotta order this stuff...?

gob09

i've never seen kroil in any of our local stores but you might fare better

SumToy

Steel wool works.  I have used it for years.  I have let the cat out of the bag to something that works and will not HURT a gun.   All the other ways work but can hurt if not did carefully.    You can take a gun that is junk and make it a shooter but can take a GOOD GUN AND TURN IT INTO JUNK.   Now this will polish and nor remove but VERY VERY little material.  His is used in a lot of the very high end O/U's.   Polish with 000 OR 0000 Steel wool and then clean any oil OUT of the barrel after you finish. 

Oil collects trash.  Look at a oil leak on a car or farm equipment.  Now after season you put the gun up put oil in it but clean out before you start shooting. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

mightyjoeyoung

In leu of kroils I have found that PB Blaster penetrating oil if a phenominal replacement. It resists heat and friction very well, penetrates great and floats away debris efficiently. 
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Reloader

I've heard of guys even using motor oil.  I've used WD40 many times as well. 

I had one barrel that was terrible, so I used WD40 and 4/0 Steel Wool followed by JB polish on WD40 soaked cotton patches wrapped around a 12ga brass brush.  Shined like a mirror when finished and patterns outstanding.

I wouldn't think too much into it.  Many fine metal polishes will polish a bbl just fine.

DirtNap647

thanks guys very helpful gonna try it this weekend seems a little cheaper to do do

TauntoHawk

I followed what William at Sumtoy told me on the phone for mine and my buddies shotgun using fine steel wool, Hoppes #9, and a power drill. 5min later ive got a smooth shinny barrel my shotgun wont recognize.. cant wait for some serious patterning with the HEvi #6s
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Grobec1

What brush would you use for an 835, 12 or 20 gauge?

bird