OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

stupid new guy question about federal heavy weight

Started by miketphoto, March 07, 2012, 02:35:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

miketphoto

I am new to shotgun shooting and have gotten myself pretty confused about the different types of shot.  Do federal heavy weight shells need a special type of choke or can I shoot them with the choke that came with my gun? I have a Mossberg 500 and the factory full choke that came with it.

I know there are better chokes out there but I am curious to see what I can do with what I have.  I am not looking to make the 40 yard shots right now because it is beyond my comfort/skill zone. 

Thanks

Philippe

The factory full chokes actually shoot the Fed Heavyweight pretty well.

miketphoto

thundrchikin

I've seen some really good patterns out of a buddies Benelli and the factory full with the Fed HW #7's. I'd shoot what you have and then take it from there. You can always buy another choke later.

surehuntsalot

another vote for the factory full choke and the Federal HW
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

miketphoto

Thanks everybody that was what I was hoping to hear.  I will try and post some pattern photos once I get the shells in.

Hunt4Meat

After talking to the Federal guy, he said that the Flight Control wad was developed so that you didn't HAVE TO go get a $50-$100 choke.

I am going to try them in both my guns with factory mods this weekend.
If at first you don't succeed, shoot again.

miketphoto

After talking to the Federal guy, he said that the Flight Control wad was developed so that you didn't HAVE TO go get a $50-$100 choke.

I am going to try them in both my guns with factory mods this weekend.

That sounds even better.  I did a little more research and read some similar info about them shooting best through full and even some modified chokes.  I am going to try them out and spend my choke money on a blind instead.