turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Best way to eradicate coyotes?

Started by busta biggun, March 06, 2012, 10:17:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

busta biggun

So my new spot has lots of yotes and the landowner said he would be very grateful to me if I could help kill some of these suckers. I have the electronic call box and a little flipper thing. I assume the best tactic is to just play the squealing rabbit sounds and wait for them to show up and blast them? What about night hunting? Poison, ....etc?

nc_hunter

Like this....

Trapping is the best way to kill 'em....even then you're not going to kill 'em all.

busta biggun

Yeah I can't trap, as I need to get a trapping license. plus I live too far away to run them. Additionally you can kill coyotes now but not bobcats.

JWC07

You can kill a 10 dump trucks full and you'll still never eradicate them. More will be there because of the favorable habitat.

But if you kill at least some it'll make the landowner happy and he'll look at you favorably as far as letting you hunt.

pseshooter300

Trapping would be your best bet but you can try calling
Tater
Thunder Chicken Mafia
This Ain't Hollywood

HogBiologist

Quote from: Shellwaster on March 06, 2012, 12:38:49 PM
if there are no dogs (pets) that run loose take a sponge and cut it into 1" squares, cook bacon and roll the 1" square sponges in the grease. Let cool and place bacon soaked 1" square sponges into a zip lock bag with tongs - don't touch with bare hands. Next time you're at the property drop a few bacon soaked 1" square sponges along roads, creek crossings, etc.

Yotes will eat these bacon soaked 1" square sponges and cannot pass them. They will get lodged in the intestines and will slowly kill the yotes. Cruel? Maybe. Effective? Yes, they do die. Will it dent the population? No. Yotes have no natural predator other than man. In my state they are a non-native species and considered a nuisance by the Department of Natural Resources.

ONLY DO THIS IF ALL DOMESTICATED ANIMALS ARE PENNED OR HOUSED!!

Around here this would be considered illegal.
Certified Wildlife Biologist

busta biggun

Thanks for your suggestions guys. I think JWC07 summed it up. I probably won't put much of a dent in the numbers but would like to shoot as many as I can to make the land owner happy. He seems to think they are getting more aggressive and killing his cats. (I hate cats so that is a coyote plus for me) Plus there cows will be having calves soon and they are worried that the yotes will attack them. So I am kind of leaning towards calling. is it a waste of time?

redleg06

Quote from: JWC07 on March 06, 2012, 10:58:58 AM
You can kill a 10 dump trucks full and you'll still never eradicate them. More will be there because of the favorable habitat.

But if you kill at least some it'll make the landowner happy and he'll look at you favorably as far as letting you hunt.

i agree with this to some extent but I've seen area's of west texas become almost completely erradicated of them. I hunted out there for a good part of my life and cant ever remember hearing or seeing more than one or two, every couple of YEARS.  It's traditionally an area known for the yote population and most of the state of TX is covered up with them but sheep and goats were the primary livestock out there (dont know about now) and folks in that area about had them wiped out. 

But, yeah unless it becomes a deal where everyone in the area participates, it will be hard to stay ahead of them because more will move in to take the place of the ones you killed.

turkey slayer

Quote from: LaBiologist on March 06, 2012, 01:14:17 PM
if there are no dogs (pets) that run loose take a sponge and cut it into 1" squares, cook bacon and roll the 1" square sponges in the grease. Let cool and place bacon soaked 1" square sponges into a zip lock bag with tongs - don't touch with bare hands. Next time you're at the property drop a few bacon soaked 1" square sponges along roads, creek crossings, etc.

Yotes will eat these bacon soaked 1" square sponges and cannot pass them. They will get lodged in the intestines and will slowly kill the yotes. Cruel? Maybe. Effective? Yes, they do die. Will it dent the population? No. Yotes have no natural predator other than man. In my state they are a non-native species and considered a nuisance by the Department of Natural Resources.

lol I knew this was coming.

Ol'Mossy

I've been hunting them for the past 3 winters by calling and they are hard to kill this way, trapping is your best bet, in fact i've been thinking about trapping next year.

Dirtybird555

I don't do or condone this but if house dogs are not a problem you can use the Alabama K9 trotline.

Take a large trebble hook, put a small price of chicken on it(small enough to swallow) and hang it about belt buckle high.  I'll let u figure out how it works.

This is horrible, illegal and cruel.but it works. I lost my soft spot for yotes the first time I saw a pack get ahold of a new born calf.

coyotetrpr

If you are going to trap coyotes and want to be very effective this is the way to do it. Burry a skunk about 1 foot or so and surround the burial site with thick brush. Cedar trees work good. What you are trying to do is control access to the skunk. Cut some trails into the burial site. The number of trails will depend on how big the barricade is. Rule of mine is 15 or 20 feet between trails. On every trail place a snare with the bottom of the loop about 7 or 8 inches off the ground.
Jakes are like scotch. They are not worth a darn until they age.

R AJ

Quote from: LaBiologist on March 06, 2012, 01:14:17 PM

Yotes will eat these bacon soaked 1" square sponges and cannot pass them. They will get lodged in the intestines and will slowly kill the yotes. Cruel?

Maybe. Effective? Yes, they do die. Will it dent the population? No. Yotes have no natural predator other than man. In my state they are a non-native species and considered a nuisance by the Department of Natural Resources.

This sponge thing is the current advice given in this area but it does not work as suggested. Someone show us  the skeletons with the sponge beside it please. I have seen crows tote these off and what appears to have been possums dragging them off but no dead coyotes . Can you imagine how much of a hair ball and hide mass these animals get from  the number of  rabbits and mice they eat ? And they can't pass a 1" square piece of sponge?
Labiologist,with all due respect to you,I'd rather be told this for truth from just a wildlife biologist.

nstrut

i like dead yotes  but i hope there r no anti's here   them pic would b fuel for the fire... i also have a big black lab who goes with me in the woods i would b very upset if he got into something like that

Frankinthelaurels

My group of hound hunters have killed more than 100 over the last three from basically the same 5 square mile area and to be honest there are just as many there today as when we started. Each weekend we kill 1-2-3 from Nov. to March and I was out the other morning and saw just as many tracks in fresh snow as I did the first day we started. I see no way to get rid of them once they get established in an area and the key is always food availability, the food is there and they are there, end of story..