only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Latex

Started by Dean, March 05, 2012, 10:09:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TRKYHTR

Quote from: Gooserbat on March 14, 2012, 11:24:34 PM
Quote from: TRKYHTR on March 07, 2012, 08:18:24 PM
Isn't prophylactic also latex? I just thought it was thinner latex. I do know that they make none latex rubbers for those who are allergic to latex.

TRKYHTR
No proph is not latex.  It is an entirely different material, the reason rubers are called prophylactics is because that is the most common material that they are made from.  If you need a source for proph get ahold of Lyle at Houndstooth Calls.

Do a google search for condoms or wikepedia search for condoms/prophylactics. Most are made from latex. There are some that are latex free( thats why they make a non latex condom, because some people are allergic to latex).

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

drenalinld

Listen guys if u get in a bind, that ain't bubble gum in them restroom machines! :z-winnersmiley:

Gooserbat

Quote from: TRKYHTR on March 14, 2012, 11:51:31 PM
Quote from: Gooserbat on March 14, 2012, 11:24:34 PM
Quote from: TRKYHTR on March 07, 2012, 08:18:24 PM
Isn't prophylactic also latex? I just thought it was thinner latex. I do know that they make none latex rubbers for those who are allergic to latex.

TRKYHTR
No proph is not latex.  It is an entirely different material, the reason rubers are called prophylactics is because that is the most common material that they are made from.  If you need a source for proph get ahold of Lyle at Houndstooth Calls.

Do a google search for condoms or wikepedia search for condoms/prophylactics. Most are made from latex. There are some that are latex free( thats why they make a non latex condom, because some people are allergic to latex).

TRKYHTR
The non latex condoms would be those made from the "prophylactic" that is used in diaphragm calls.  Thus latex free.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

TRKYHTR

I am not one to argue a point but I will debate especially when it includes something that can potentially harm someone. Here is a definition of a Condom:A condom is a prophylactic sheath that is used to cover the male penis. It acts as a barrier to prevent sperm from entering a sexual partner, as well as to prevent transmission of disease-causing bacteria or microorganisms between partners during sexual activity. The first condoms, invented hundreds of years ago, were probably made of lambskin. Although effective in blocking sperm transmission, their relatively large pores did not impede the transmission of sexually transmitted infections. Most contemporary condoms are made of latex, which effectively impedes the transmission of both sperm and disease-causing agents.

Prophylactic is a term used for the prevention of disease as in preventing VD during intercoarse threw the use of a condom.

I called Joe at brookside game calls and asked what his prof was made of. After telling me he didn't know and that he thought it was made from prophylactic, he said he gets the same stuff everybody else gets from a lady who cutts condoms.

Then I called Ron Eply from pioneer turkey calls. He said his prof comes from standard condoms that are made from latex. He didn't know of anybody who used non latex prof in the call industry.

I personally bought a non latex condom and made a call from it. It was made from polysporene (sp). It was a different material than the condom prophylactic that I purchased from Lyle Gilbert. This material was very difficult to clamp in the frame but once I got it in there it did work.

I called Lyle and asked what type of condom I got from him and he said it was a standard condom that was made from latex.

I also got on Primos website and looked up Troy Ruiz signature saeries mouth call because I knew it was made from all prof. There is a disclaimer on the page that says "mouth diaphragm calls are made from natural latex and may cause an allergic reaction."

So I hope those that are highly allergic to latex do not use prophylactic calls because they are made from latex. If you want a latex free mouth call you need to buy some latex free condoms and make the calls from them. I'm off my soapbox now.

TRKYHTR

RIP Marvin Robbins

Gooserbat

OK so I stand to be corected.  I will look into this more myself and if TRKYHTR is right so be it.  This fourm is not about arguing but rather the sharing of info. 

That being said there is a diference in the way a call dose build and also the sound qualities of standard latex vs what is called proph.

This is something for me to dig into and find out more info.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Spurcollecta

Prophylactic is just a fancy word for prevention (Like prevention of pregnancy). I'm also pretty sure that "proph" is latex. Having said that, not all "proph" is created equal. From the proph that I've tried, all of it sounds a little bit different. There's a slight difference in the latex comparing a Trojan condom to the proph condoms that Lyle has and there's also a difference in the sound, IMO...

FJC

Hey guys new here, but have been building calls for 20+  years.  Prophylactic is latex, but it is not just a common condom!  It's all in the way the condom is made.  When a latex condom is made it is usually made form a frozen or just cold metal/glass probe that is dipped into liquid latex that is what forms the condom.  Latex like you get from any call supplier is sheet latex that is dye cut.  The proph that so many people use, is from my understanding, sheet latex that is formed into the condom over a hot probe instead of dipped.  That is what makes the difference it is not an issue of material it is an issue of how the condom is manufactured.  Most true proph is made overseas and cannot be used for condom production in the US.  proph is however "completely different" than if you went to the store and bought a condom and cut it up to make a call. So don't let anyone tell you that a prophylactic is just a latex condom it is different because of the production process.  

Houndstooth Game Calls

Breaking News: I got some glow in the dark proph who wants some!!! I call it galactic prophylactic! My name of the new call with this new material is the "moon lighter" :toothy12:

TRKYHTR

Quote from: Houndstooth Game Calls on March 27, 2012, 11:20:46 PM
Breaking News: I got some glow in the dark proph who wants some!!! I call it galactic prophylactic! My name of the new call with this new material is the "moon lighter" :toothy12:
Thats hilarious. I also ordered some colored condoms to see what it would sound like. At least you will be able to find them calls in the dark. Sweet.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

Gooserbat

Quote from: Houndstooth Game Calls on March 27, 2012, 11:20:46 PM
:TooFunny::you_rock: :happy0064:
NWTF Booth 1623

turkeykiller22

I would also like Chris's contact info please!
Grounded Brand - https://groundedbrand.com/

CallDr

The problem with Latex is the "grade" of the natural tree rubber. Some RUNS of latex are the "milky" kind. I have wanted to make my own latex for years. I have several vendors that can "blend" different formulas. I would insist that no 'Milky" be used. Back in 1988 when I did my first run of RX 1, it was Clear once you got the talk off. Boy was it the "good stuff'! Ask Preston Pittman. The Original Black Diamond was a Killer call! I won several calling contests with it as well as others winning state, world and national. 

My next call is going to be a Tube. I am just hoping I can find the right or a good latex. It would cost me around 7,500.00 just to be able to make my own. ( machine and materials) OUCH!

www.wildtalker.com

Dean

Yea, the "milky" latex in my opinion leaves a lot to be desired, that is why I use a lot more proph for backer reeds than I used to.  Proph seems to be more consistent, but it is kind of a pain to work with compared to normal latex.  I remember back in the late 80's and early 90's how much better and consistent the latex was and it was the "good stuff".  I don't know what happened or changed but you just don't see it anyore.