OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Ok did a little more studying of my federal 7s....found some interesting stuff.

Started by savduck, March 05, 2012, 08:47:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

savduck

Quote from: DUPREE on March 10, 2012, 10:29:49 PM
Very good info. After seeing shot 8, I wonder how a factory full would do. Ive said that when my son gets big enough to hunt he will toting a 20 with feds and a modified choke.

I think your on the money. I think even though these three chokes can put up great numbers, none of them really stay consistent with the feds. They all have wad strippers.

They say that Federal Wad doesnt like wad strippers so that makes perfect sense why guys are having good luck with the remington full and hastings. They are just smooth bore constriction chokes. I want to try those two, but also want to get a Terror 575 by SRM products. It is smooth bore with no wad strippers. Only money right?
Georgia Boy

spurcollector

I only took one shot today but got 120 with a Mossberg Bantam and a .572 Undertaker.

MERCing

I've came to the same conclusion about the Fed's not liking a dirty barrel.

R AJ

Quote from: savduck on March 10, 2012, 10:36:38 PM
Quote from: DUPREE on March 10, 2012, 10:29:49 PM
Very good info. After seeing shot 8, I wonder how a factory full would do. Ive said that when my son gets big enough to hunt he will toting a 20 with feds and a modified choke.

I think your on the money. I think even though these three chokes can put up great numbers, none of them really stay consistent with the feds. They all have wad strippers.

They say that Federal Wad doesnt like wad strippers so that makes perfect sense why guys are having good luck with the remington full and hastings. They are just smooth bore constriction chokes. I want to try those two, but also want to get a Terror 575 by SRM products. It is smooth bore with no wad strippers. Only money right?

The SumToy choke with five wad strippers does very well with the federal HW in 20 gauge. Th e20 gauge wad is much more flexible than the12 Ga. I do not disagree with you about the Rem SF and Hastings chokes . The SumToy in Remington 870 20 ga that has only three rings does well using the FC lead and pre FC lead shell as well and both are death patterns at 30-33 yards with  just the lead. Lots of chokes are out there . You just never know when one might be the choke of the year for a particular shell/shot combo.

TrkyHntr

My remmy 870 compact with a 21" barrel and the hastings .562.
10" #'s at 40yds

3 shots
Clean barrel (not polished)-181
Bore snaked 3 times- 174
Dirty-168

Shane
He's big enough to ride in my truck!