turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

870 exspress super mag 3.5

Started by leasburg, March 05, 2012, 11:13:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

leasburg

I told my buddy his pattern was not good enough with 870.  He has agreed to get a new choke and pattern it correctly.  does anyone have a good starting point choke and shell wise to get him good.  he does not have the money to buy a bunch and play around.  thanks i. advance guys
Rub it right pro staff, hunt em boats pro staff, proud supporter of floating the 4th shell, take a kid golfing my hunting spots are getting crowded

nyhunter

What is he shooting now? What does he want to shoot for shells?

Reloader

A simple switch to H13 3-2-6s with the same choke(if HD rated) will usually give a dramatic increase in range for those that are used to lead patterns. 

H13 isn't cheap, but besides a range session to zero and check pattern counts, the few used in the field are peanuts compared to the cost of gas to get there and back.

If he's set on lead and wants a good choke that will not break the bank, I'd suggest the Primos JH in 660 or 665.  Winchester HV lead 6s pattern well for most.  Even the cheap grey box 3" Win 1-7/8oz 6s pattern pretty good.

If he wants an even cheaper lead turkey choke, I'd suggest ordering a Remington Ventilator and shooting Win 6s. That choke also patterns well with H13s.

eaglea1

Bad, What would you think about using the SuperMag with a Jellyhead .660 & Hevi 13 #6 ??

Gobble!

He would be better off getting a cheap choke that can shoot Hevi shot and use hevi13 3" 2oz #6s or #7s

leasburg

Quote from: nyhunter on March 05, 2012, 11:19:00 AM
What is he shooting now? What does he want to shoot for shells?

i think factory full and winchester supremes, 4's patterned the best, but not good enough imop.  good info guys
Rub it right pro staff, hunt em boats pro staff, proud supporter of floating the 4th shell, take a kid golfing my hunting spots are getting crowded

Jelly Head King

What kinda pattern is not good enough if you dont mind me asking. Most guns shooting the factory full w/ 4's shoot a good pattern out to 30 yds. I would rather see someone learn to call better and work the bird into a closer range, than to try and bust him at 40 or 50 yards. Just my .02

redleg06

Quote from: Gobble! on March 05, 2012, 12:17:13 PM
He would be better off getting a cheap choke that can shoot Hevi shot and use hevi13 3" 2oz #6s or #7s

Agreed. The shell makes more of a difference than the choke in a lot of cases.

I'd go pick up a Primos Tightwad or Jellyhead and some Hevi 7's or Hevi Mag Blends and be done with it.

TauntoHawk

I know my jellyhead .665 and Win HV #6's knocked a lot of birds down out of my 870 and it didnt break the bank when I was in college. Hevi-shot if you can find a decent price will pattern better than lead out of about any choke

but on a budget the jellyhead for $40 and Win shells $13/10 shot good under 40yds every year
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Hooks' n' Beards'

Kicks Gobblin thunder choke kills just as many turkeys as any choke on the market as does a Jellyhead or the Undertaker.Some Chokes are over priced and some are under priced,I Love my Undertaker,Jellyhead,Gobblin thunder and the Extra Full turkey choke that came with my gun,I Dont need to spend lots on a Choke to get my Tom,Guess i wait until there within 20-30 Yards and i am a good shot,Who knew.

oldcreekhunter

Quote from: GrizzlyMan1980 on March 05, 2012, 04:31:04 PM
Kicks Gobblin thunder choke kills just as many turkeys as any choke on the market as does a Jellyhead or the Undertaker.Some Chokes are over priced and some are under priced,I Love my Undertaker,Jellyhead,Gobblin thunder and the Extra Full turkey choke that came with my gun,I Dont need to spend lots on a Choke to get my Tom,Guess i wait until there within 20-30 Yards and i am a good shot,Who knew.
[/quote

well said!!! most people who shoot turkeys at 45-70 yards couldnt either call or are impatient. let him work you! Id like to see of of yall out here bow hunt a louisiana whitetail.

cannonball

Get a .665 Jellyhead and some Hevi #6 or #7 and call it a day.

Hooks' n' Beards'

oldcreekhunter

Glad i aint alone on that. i deer hunt with a pse xforce gx that rigged out shoots 319-320 fps @60lbs and could kill deer easily at 50 but i stop at 40. Turkeys i draw the line at 40 but rarely shoot until 30 or closer. Hunting wild game is a sport not a contest. respect game enough to provide clean kills

FttFttVroom!

Getting 130's in 10"@40 yds with a cheap Truglo TG170X out of a 3" chamber 870 express shooting WinHV 5's