OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Trigger Weight

Started by crenshawco, March 04, 2012, 09:34:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spurcollecta

Quote from: slickyboyboo on March 05, 2012, 10:20:38 AM
I changed the sear spring in my 12 ga 870 a few years back, and loved it. Debating on just changing the spring on my 20 ga or putting the Timmney in.

I've done both. Get the Timney. If you're ever around my neck of the woods you're welcome to try mine out...

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Quote from: crenshawco on March 05, 2012, 02:54:22 PM
Anybody familiar with this process on a Browning Gold Hunter? I just called the local gun shop and asked them what they could do and the guy said that they cant really do anything to lower the pull weight on a semi-auto shotgun. Is this correct?

That is incorrect.  Many smiths won't touch them but competent, capable ones are out there. 

My silver trigger was 6.5 lbs.  It is now 3 with no creep or travel.

crenshawco

Thanks that's what I figured. I'm going to call a few more and find somebody to do it

archery1

any fixes for the mossberg 835? or just get a timney ?
Take a kid hunting

Spurcollecta

Quote from: archery1 on March 05, 2012, 10:21:10 PM
any fixes for the mossberg 835? or just get a timney ?

I don't think timney makes an upgrade for mossberg. I could be wrong tho..,

WildSpur

I checked their webpage too and from what I recall the 870 is the only shotgun trigger they offer.

I emailed mossberg a little over a month ago about a LPA trigger upgrade and never received a response.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

archery1

NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH EMAILS TO MOSSBERG.
MAYBE TRY AGAIN?
Take a kid hunting

sawtooth

My sons Mossberg 500 super bantam is in the shop now.  It was a 7 crazy lbs. from the factory but were taking her down to around 4 or 5lbs. 

crenshawco

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on March 05, 2012, 10:14:27 PM
Anybody familiar with this process on a Browning Gold Hunter? I just called the local gun shop and asked them what they could do and the guy said that they cant really do anything to lower the pull weight on a semi-auto shotgun. Is this correct?

That is incorrect.  Many smiths won't touch them but competent, capable ones are out there. 

I'm really having trouble finding somebody to do it for me. I've talked to a gun shop and 2 gun smiths and none of them will touch it.

mrclif

call Rob Roberts he'll hook you up. Good guy to work with.

sawtooth

picked it up yesterday and now the trigger is much improved.  There is about 1/8" take up on the trigger with no weight then you feel about 4.5lbs followed with a fairly crisp release.  Not sure why there is takeup but may be just how he had to take away the creep.  Anyway you can actually hold the gun steady now and it shoots great.  I beat the butt on the floor several times, shucked many shells through it off safety and all seems safe and well.

swamppirate

Quote from: slickyboyboo on March 05, 2012, 10:20:38 AM
I changed the sear spring in my 12 ga 870 a few years back, and loved it. Debating on just changing the spring on my 20 ga or putting the Timmney in.

Man, I love those Timneys...I've got them in two old Knight Mk-85's and they are great....probably the best shooting guns I own.
Duty is the most sublime word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less.
Robert E. Lee

Rapscallion Vermilion

I just installed the Timney 870 kit on my 11-87 20 gauge and it is a huge improvement.  There is still a bit of residual creep, but it is very smooth with no grabbing.  I set the pull weight to just under 4 lbs (using my fish scale and coat hanger trigger pull gauge  :laugh:).  I haven't taken it to the range yet, but it has been killing imaginary turkeys left and right.

Gooserbat

Quote from: crenshawco on March 06, 2012, 07:53:50 PM
Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on March 05, 2012, 10:14:27 PM

I'm really having trouble finding somebody to do it for me. I've talked to a gun shop and 2 gun smiths and none of them will touch it.

Check with Skeets Gun shop in Talaquaha OK all they do is shotguns and they are big Browning fans.  918 456 4749
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.