turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Trigger Weight

Started by crenshawco, March 04, 2012, 09:34:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crenshawco

This may be a dumb question and I know most people don't fool with the pull weights on shotguns, but I was wondering if any of yall lowered the pull weight on turkey guns. I never notice on birds really but it seems so stiff when I'm patterning

bird

I did change the sear spring in my 870SM this year.

Reloader

I like 3lbs on  a turkey gun, but anything from 2.5-4 is just fine.  I have one at 2.25, but most are in the 2.75-3.5 range.

Spurcollecta

I installed a Timney on my 870 and I love it!

the Ward

That is one of the best upgrades you can do imo.We do alot of turkey/card shoots and it makes a big difference.most shotgun triggers are pretty heavy from the factory,the last gun i had done was an 870 and we tested its pull,it was just over 9# on the scale!We set it at a hair over 4.5 and it made a HUGE difference!I usually like to have mine around 4 to 4.5#,as we ofen hunt or shoot in cold weather and with gloves on or cold fingers you don't want something too light!I say go for it,you will be glad you did!....ward

VaTuRkStOmPeR

An often overlooked but integral step towards optimizing accuracy!

archery1

never messed with it on my mossy... (lord  knows i want to)  but did it to several rifles and it does make a difference in accuracy
Take a kid hunting

nyhunter

I changed out the trigger springs all 3 of my 870's. It was very easy and a great improvement over the stock springs.

crenshawco

Thanks for the replies. Im glad to hear people do this. Does anybody have any general directions of how to do this? I'm shooting a browning gold hunter

VaTuRkStOmPeR

My gsmith took my browning silver trigger to 3 lbs with no creep and travel.

HuntSource

I believe a good trigger is quite important as well. A heavy, springy feeling trigger creates bad habits. Additionally, at minimum, if the pull is poor, good trigger mechanics can never become a second nature, muscle memory exercise. Of course, all this may create misses in the field.

Send it to a pro would be my suggestion. For me, it's not worth the time investment figure it out for a DIY or the risk involved potentially making a rookie mistake. I've used Rob Roberts in the past, most recently on a Benelli M2 20ga. His work has been fantastic and his turn times are quick. There are other very good shotgun gunsmiths out there too. I'm sure others will have good suggestions.

reynolds243

man, does anyone know if you can do anything with the trigger pull on a Stoeger m3500. it is pretty heavy and i am not sure if anything can be altered on it to bring it down near 4-5 instead of the brisk 7 it pulls now.

k9hunter2

Changed springs on all my remmys last year, they still have creep but pull is noticeably lighter

crenshawco

Anybody familiar with this process on a Browning Gold Hunter? I just called the local gun shop and asked them what they could do and the guy said that they cant really do anything to lower the pull weight on a semi-auto shotgun. Is this correct?

goblr77

I put a partriot spring in my 870 20ga. My 835 and all my Berettas are factory.